Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
    Its a travesty

Another reason to hate the UK
    you missed brazil vs germany then. they were full bikini, no ninja suits.

Comment

• More judo news;

A couple of minutes ago, American Travis Stevens defeated world #1 Leandro Guilheiro of Brazil in the Quarter finals of the 81 kg mens competition. In the 63 kg women's class, Mongolian Olympic debutant Munkhzaya Tsedevsuren defeated 2x reigning world champion and world #1 Gevrise Emane of France. Also in the woman's division, Slovenian Urska Zolnir has just punched her ticket to the semi finals with her 3rd victory by armbar submission in as many bouts. Her ground skills have been a joy to watch this tournament.

Comment

• Nakai in the mens division of Japan has just been defeated by the German in the Quarters. The Japanese female Ueno just lost her bout a few minutes ago to the Korean competitor as well in the quarters. The best Japan can hope for on the day now is bronze.

Comment

• Korean reigning world champion Kim is through to the Semis in the mens division in an eventless match against an Argentinian opponent. Kim is in a class above.

Comment

• Next up, Canadian Fortier, who has so far proved a true darkhorse in this tournament, takes on Russian Nifontov for the final spot in the semis. The Canadian has looked phenomenal, in what's been a true underdog story.

Comment

• It is so difficult to keep up with results if you aren't watching the games on tv. I tried yahoo sports, usatoday and several other sites and they are a mess.

Comment

• And the Russian is the victor, and now the semis are set. The Russian fighter takes on reigning world champ Kim of Korea, while the American Stevens will take on defending Olympic champion Ole Bischoft of Germany.

On the women's side, the Korean Jong takes on Lili Xu of China, while Mongolian Tsedevsuren takes on the Slovanien Urska. Interestingly, the World #1 and #2 in France's Ename and Japan's Ueno have both been knocked out in the quarter finals of the women's competition. Urska is the highest ranked of the remaining competitors at #5 in the world, but she faces a Mongolian who has looked spectacular all day and is fresh off her defeat of the #1 ranked fighter from France. I haven't had a chance to see the Korean and Chinese competitors as I've been watching a feed of mat 2. Based on their bout results, there is not a lot to separate them, aside from the Korean knocking off world #2 Ueno in her last bout. The Chinese fighter has a slightly higher world ranking at #7, the Korean is #11, but this is rather insignificant. Expect a competitive fight, based on the available data.

On the other side, both fighters have looked great. The Slovenian is considerably more experienced in the international circuit, and holds a higher world ranking at #5, and is also the 4th seeded fighter (and the only remaining seeded fighter). The Mongolian has looked on point all tournament however. I expect a competitive fight, but I would not go against the Mongolian.

Comment

• On the men's side, I'm going to go out on a limb and say American Stevens beats the returning Olympic champion Bischof. On the other side of the bracket, I expect a fight from the Russian, but the reigning world champ Kim has looked sharp and I do not expect him to be stopped. As the cards are currently stacked, he looks poised to capture his first Olympic title.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                    More judo news;

A couple of minutes ago, American Travis Stevens defeated world #1 Leandro Guilheiro of Brazil in the Quarter finals of the 81 kg mens competition. In the 63 kg women's class, Mongolian Olympic debutant Munkhzaya Tsedevsuren defeated 2x reigning world champion and world #1 Gevrise Emane of France. Also in the woman's division, Slovenian Urska Zolnir has just punched her ticket to the semi finals with her 3rd victory by armbar submission in as many bouts. Her ground skills have been a joy to watch this tournament.
                    That's impressive.

Despite the terrible weather, the women are still out in their bikinis for the beach volleyball

Comment

• What's the boxing today?

Comment

Working...
                      X