No announcement yet.

Unpopular opinions you have?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    i can almost garantee that you wouldn't even sniff the wait list at cornell's engineering school.
    How so? Is there a lot of competition? I don't know much about the place.

Last edited by Barn; 02-26-2013, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
      I wouldn't be able to work knowing I'm not striving to contribute to the advancement of mankind.

Ultimately my far out goal is to contribute somehow to the world and make my life somewhat worthwhile. Managing a hotel doesn't come under that for me personally. That's why I want to go into Science, I feel it gives me the best shot of accomplishing my goal.

i wish you all the best.

the world is almost certainly going to be hardly any different when you're gone. the contributions that most make to the world are through the parenting of children. profound and large scale contributions to humanity aren't something you're likely to make. i know you're a bright guy with ambition, but i'm only being realistic. i am 10 years older than you after all, young buck. mortgage, 50 hour weeks, the whole nine.

hotels employ lots of people on a full time basis. those are families existing off of an entity that you'd be managing. they provide a necessary service, and are a hub for regional business communities. it'd be a noble and worthy pursuit to run one of those things, in the humble opinion of old new england.

and finally, what's a scientist, really? hired skilled labor. you work for somebody else. you're the talent, but it's not your production. you won't be likely to own the building or university you work in, or the equipment or what have you that allows you to go about your studies.

i will continue lecturing you later i gotta jet.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        i wish you all the best.
        Thanks.

the world is almost certainly going to be hardly any different when you're gone.
        That's why it was a "far out goal" I'm not going to pretend it's likely to happen but it's something to work towards.

the contributions that most make to the world are through the parenting of children.
        Then they contribute by making more children and so on? To what end? Why is parenting a contribution?

profound and large scale contributions to humanity aren't something you're likely to make.
        Of course it's not likely and I think you might be misinterpreting what I mean by "contribute". Even if I was just part of a team of people who did something cool, a guy not at the top of the game but still helped out. It would make me happy.

i know you're a bright guy with ambition, but i'm only being realistic. i am 10 years older than you after all, young buck. mortgage, 50 hour weeks, the whole nine.
        I get that but I'm going to do my best not to work in a crappy job and do something I enjoy (which happens to be science as well). I'm not in life for the money. Thankfully I've never been poor so there is no real necessity for me to get money, I'm in a scenario where I have some flexibility in terms of choosing jobs that I want rather than what I need. I'm thinking out loud here so it might not make a whole lot of sense.

hotels employ lots of people on a full time basis. those are families existing off of an entity that you'd be managing. they provide a necessary service, and are a hub for regional business communities. it'd be a noble and worthy pursuit to run one of those things, in the humble opinion of old new england.
        If I was going to do something "noble" in terms of helping people I'd move to Africa and help build schools.
        That's something I wouldn't mind doing really, being one of those volunteer aid dudes (inbetween my job of course) that go over when natural disasters etc strike.

and finally, what's a scientist, really? hired skilled labor. you work for somebody else.
        Ultimately, it depends how good you are. You can be a standard lab-rat who is what you just described, but it becomes more than that if you go into research and actually are the person finding things out, which is what I hope to do if all goes to plan.

Comment

Originally posted by 2shameless View Post
          Monsters like this should be in prisons or insane asylums not indoctrinating our students.

We need to stop encouraging one parent families.

Multiculturalism has generally been a success where it has happened naturally, but an abysmal failure where it has been forced.

Affirmative action is racist.

It's guys like him, that feed guys like this:

Comment

Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post

It's guys like him, that feed guys like this:

Hate foments hate, absolutely. Difference being while Mr. Jim Crow there might reach 3 or 4 inbreds on the interwebz, Mr. Gutierrez has been a county judge and is currently infecting a fresh crop of students at the University of Texas. More gems from this schmuck:

"It is not our fault that whites don’t make babies, and blacks are not growing in sufficient numbers, and there’s no other groups with such a goal to put their homeland back together again. We do. Those numbers will make it possible. I believe that in the next few years, we will see an irredentists movement, beyond assimilation, beyond integration, beyond separatism, to putting Mexico back together as one. That's irridentism. One Mexico, one nation."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%...Guti%C3%A9rrez

Comment

Working...
            X