Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rank these recent greats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've come to the conclusion that the word "great" has very little meaning on this forum! Everyone who wins some BS title is a great? Some of these fellows on the OP lists were in great fights or fought great in some fights but none of them are "great fighters"! Sorry no one on the list is a Sugar Ray Robinson or Joe Louis or Willie Pep or Ali or Duran and on &on&on&on!!
    Can't they be very good fighters or quality champions, possibly high caliber??

is the word GREAT over used here?? YES!!
    Theres 3 or 4 Greats at each division in the history of boxing and none of the boxers meantioned are anywheres near that ranking!
    Shane is a great WW?? He's not in the top twenty! Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      I've come to the conclusion that the word "great" has very little meaning on this forum! Everyone who wins some BS title is a great? Some of these fellows on the OP lists were in great fights or fought great in some fights but none of them are "great fighters"! Sorry no one on the list is a Sugar Ray Robinson or Joe Louis or Willie Pep or Ali or Duran and on &on&on&on!!
      Can't they be very good fighters or quality champions, possibly high caliber??

is the word GREAT over used here?? YES!!
      Theres 3 or 4 Greats at each division in the history of boxing and none of the boxers meantioned are anywheres near that ranking!
      Shane is a great WW?? He's not in the top twenty! Ray
      You're right, the word great has very little meaning. It's a term that is always relative to the context. Is Shane Mosley one of the greatest boxers ever? Hell no. But compared the large majority of the many fighters who have been in the ring, he really is great. I can think the cashier at the market I shop at is "great". That doesn't mean he/she is among the best in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        You're right, the word great has very little meaning. It's a term that is always relative to the context. Is Shane Mosley one of the greatest boxers ever? Hell no. But compared the large majority of the many fighters who have been in the ring, he really is great. I can think the cashier at the market I shop at is "great". That doesn't mean he/she is among the best in the world.
        Absolutely! Everyone that wins a title and beats a few guys these days is now not only a great, but also a hofer. You constantly see threads of people saying "does *insert name of decent champ* make it into the HOF with this win?".

It seems like any champ with a few good wins and a title to their name should be considered for the HOF. You have great fighters of the past with two or three times the resume being talked about as 'bums' and yet someone like Kelly Pavlik, Sergio Martinez, Paul Williams, Hatton etc are called HOFers? Man, it makes me want to strangle people. People have simply forgotten what constitutes greatness today.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          When exactly was Winky ever in the top 3 P4P?
          Between beating Trinidad and losing to Hopkins, 2005-2007. Most people actually had him #2 behind Floyd and in front of Pacquiao.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
            7. Winky (as good as Winky was, he never dealt with volume punchers very well)

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
            No, he's not. He never was that great pfp. At his best, he was struggling with guys like Vargas, Harry Simon, and others. His best wins were against Mosley who really wasn't very good at 154 and had already been figured out by Forrest. Trinidad was done by the time they fought. I don't think he'd ever beat P Williams to be honest. He'd cover up too much and lose a decision. There's no way in hell he's better than Tyson, DLH, Morales or Toney pfp.
            When did he ever struggle with a volume puncher other than williams which was after being inactive for 3 years? Dont even say solimon because he pitched a shutout that night. He blocked 800 of williams punches, he only lost that fight because he wasnt able to land his own, his timing was gone because he was gone as fighter. In his prime he beats williams easily.

Comment

Simon and Vargas. F uck your avatar.

Comment

Working...
              X