Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sherif Younan Jr., Inspired By Canelo, Causes a Pro Stir

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Sherif Younan Jr., Inspired By Canelo, Causes a Pro Stir

By Mitch Abramson - Sherif Younan Jr. is a boxing fan. He’s also a pretty good boxer. When Younan was two, he celebrated his birthday at a boxing gym. When he was eight, he started fighting competitively for trophies and medals. Now 16, Younan is the top-ranked junior boxer in the United States at 189 pounds. Younan is six feet tall with fast hands, a high boxing IQ, and enough confidence to last a few lifetimes. After watching Saul “Canelo” Alvarez turn pro at 15 and win a world title at 21, Younan Jr., who is from Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, was gripped with an idea: If Alvarez could turn pro at such a young age- why not me?

Younan is still too young to fight in the New York Golden Gloves. He just turned 16 on October 14 and can’t even vote or serve in the U.S. Army. Most boxing fans have never heard of him. Yet Younan has already made up his mind. Younan, or “Sugar Boy” as he is known, wants to start fighting for money and take the same route that Alvarez did to become a world champion. In what would be a rare occurrence and perhaps a first in this country, Younan is considering skipping the senior division of the amateurs to turn professional without the benefit of a single bout against older competition. [Click Here To Read More]

benavidez went pro at 17,Hes doing alright now at 19.

Comment

Lol when i read the tittle i thought the kid was ginger and was inspired by canelo.

Comment

This is shocking and not so shocking at the same time. Shocking because it's very, very uncommon for someone to turn pro so young in the US; however, not shocking at all considering that this goes on day in and day out in Mexico. Chavez turned pro at 17, Barrera at 15, Morales at 16, Margarito at 15, Salido at 15; the list goes on and on.

On a side note, this kid and his father kept going on and on about his talent and how much better he is than Alvarez. The first question I have is 'what do you mean when you say talent?' Do they mean fast hands, quick feet, great reflexes? Or do they mean strong punch, good chin, great conditioning, and undominable will? Most likely they mean the first. And the fact is that this country (the US) is full of boxers who have great talent and are great athletes; however, in the pros it takes more than that to win and be successful. Just last night on Showbox, Michael Perez, a multi national champion, quit on his stool because he just could not keep off the crude, but relentless, Omar Figueroa. And there are numerous examples of this, too... Hell, Chavez was a lot less 'talented' than almost all of his opponents but went undefeated and was the pound for pound king for years... I'm not saying this kid won't be successful, just that there are a lot of intangibles in the pro game that don't exist in the amateurs. Also, they are comparing him to a Mexican who grew up in a farm with a very, very modest upbringing. Most likely, he's never felt hunger, never had to get up at 4:00 am to milk a cow or work a corn field. The kid's father, who was born and grew up in Egypt maybe, but the actual kid who was born and raised in the US most likely not. These are all big factors and reasons why Mexican and other Latin American fighters are so successful in boxing. Not just because they're talented.
        Last edited by Carlos Alberto; 01-08-2012, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Wilfred Benitez was the youngest world champ in history at 17.

Comment

Originally posted by elplayapimp View Post
            Lol when i read the tittle i thought the kid was ginger and was inspired by canelo.
            bro, that was exactly my thought

Comment

Originally posted by Carlos Alberto View Post
              This is shocking and not so shocking at the same time. Shocking because it's very, very uncommon for someone to turn pro so young in the US; however, not shocking at all considering that this goes on day in and day out in Mexico. Chavez turned pro at 17, Barrera at 15, Morales at 16, Margarito at 15, Salido at 15; the list goes on and on.

On a side note, this kid and his father kept going on and on about his talent and how much better he is than Alvarez. The first question I have is 'what do you mean when you say talent?' Do they mean fast hands, quick feet, great reflexes? Or do they mean strong punch, good chin, great conditioning, and undominable will? Most likely they mean the first. And the fact is that this country (the US) is full of boxers who have great talent and are great athletes; however, in the pros it takes more than that to win and be successful. Just last night on Showbox, Michael Perez, a multi national champion, quit on his stool because he just could not keep off the crude, but relentless, Omar Figueroa. And there are numerous examples of this, too... Hell, Chavez was a lot less 'talented' than almost all of his opponents but went undefeated and was the pound for pound king for years... I'm not saying this kid won't be successful, just that there are a lot of intangibles in the pro game that don't exist in the amateurs. Also, they are comparing him to a Mexican who grew up in a farm with a very, very modest upbringing. Most likely, he's never felt hunger, never had to get up at 4:00 am to milk a cow or work a corn field. The kid's father, who was born and grew up in Egypt maybe, but the actual kid who was born and raised in the US most likely not. These are all big factors and reasons why Mexican and other Latin American fighters are so successful in boxing. Not just because they're talented.
              good post bro

Comment

I don't blame him for not wanting to stick around as an amateur with all the hoops USA Boxing is making people jump through.

But he should wait a little and see if they change their qualifying method for Brazil 2016.

Comment

Working...
                X