Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011: What a terrible year for boxing, can it get any worse? Let's sum it up..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011: What a terrible year for boxing, can it get any worse? Let's sum it up..

I'm a fan and always will be, and I try to focus on the good things, such Rios-Antillon and Kirkland's amazing comeback. But my god we've had to endure some setbacks this year in the sport of boxing. Off the top of my head:

- The biggest heavyweight fight since Tyson Lewis was a complete borefest after all that hype, quickly ending any excitement we had for the heavyweight division, Haye's pinky toe rubs it in even more.

- Mosley Pac....disappointing would be an understatement.

- The Super Six is plagued with fake (yes screw u Dirrell) and unfortunate injuries and drop outs, quite an anti-climax because it was a great initiative (we still get a good fight though, but doesn't feel that much like a true finale)

- Abner Mares vs Joseph Agbeko ruins the end of another great tournament with the dirtiest fighting and ****test official we've seen in a LONG time. A disgraceful fight.

- Lara gets robbed hardcore against Paul Williams, just wow...

- Mathyssee gets robbed against the hometown hero Devon Alexander

- Mayweather Ortiz ends in a suckerpunch, robbing the fans of a great fight. Ortiz acted like an idiot, Mayweather showed his sportsmanship. Great to see after his 'vacation'.

- Marquez shocks the world and controls Pacquiao for 12 rounds, but the decision goes to Manny. Everybody suddenly changes their opinion, which I find quite disturbing. Suddenly the mega-fight is not worth seeing, which is RIDICULOUS. It's fascinating how everybody jumped ship from Manny's balls to Floyd's. All that while ****ting on Marquez pre-fight, not giving this legend any respect. Not that Pac-May would get signed anyway...

- Testing, PED's, *******s, *****'s, Vacations, Talk to my promoter, I'm not not thinking about boxing........I've rarely seen such a sad state of affairs and I'm not picking sides. The fans are making it even worse.

- Fake belts being thrown around like candy. Chavez Jr, Canelo Alvarez, Morales....they all became 'champions'......while Marquez should actually be the FIRST mexican to get 4 belts in different divisions.

- Juan Manuel Lopez gets knocked out by Salido destroying the hopes of the super fight between him and Gamboa. Nice one!

- Bradley shamelessly ducks Khan to prevent another super fight, to determine the number 1 guy at 140.

- Hopkins vs Dawson....are you kidding me?!?!? Yes we win title fights by takedowns! Boxing was certainly on a roll after this one!

- De La Hoya checks into rehab and acts like a child on twitter, while Arum takes his sneakyness to new heights. We've got some promoters in boxing.

Now that I've summed it up, my god this was some year...did I miss anything?

and finally...we lose Joe Frazier, R.I.P. legend

How about a slightly different spin?

Nonito Donaire utterly destroys Montiel faster then anyone could have expected.

We have Rios have a great war with Miguel Acosta and then a solid follow up with Antillon and he's made himself a bit of a rising star

We have had the Bantam Weight tourney which like the Super 6 has had it's up's and downs, but ultimately most of the best have fought each other.

We have Froch vs Ward final coming up

We hopefully have Cotto vs Margarito 2 coming up

We had a good war with Ortiz vs Berto

I agree with everything you have written, however, I like to believe that the glass is half full, then half empty

Comment

It was a bad year for 'big' fights, but we've had some damn good boxing this year.

Berto-Ortiz
      Wolak-Rodriguez
      Angulo-Kirkland
      Arce-Vasquez
      Khan-Maidana
      Morales-Maidana
      Acosta-Rios
      Rios-Antillion
      Salido-Lopez
      Concepcio-Marquez

Comment

the Morales - Maidana fight was great

Comment

Originally posted by chav View Post
          How about a slightly different spin?

Nonito Donaire utterly destroys Montiel faster then anyone could have expected.

We have Rios have a great war with Miguel Acosta and then a solid follow up with Antillon and he's made himself a bit of a rising star

We have had the Bantam Weight tourney which like the Super 6 has had it's up's and downs, but ultimately most of the best have fought each other.

We have Froch vs Ward final coming up

We hopefully have Cotto vs Margarito 2 coming up

We had a good war with Ortiz vs Berto

I agree with everything you have written, however, I like to believe that the glass is half full, then half empty

It's fans like you that keep the sport going! Thank buddha for guys like Rios and Donaire....they generate excitement where the big names have failed.

Comment

IMO while there were many good fights and moments during the year, the let down of the major fights and names makes it a bad year overall.

theres only mega fight that will garner main stream attention. even a floyd/martinez, while it would be big for us boxing fans, wouldnt be big for the rest of the world.

you got fighters ducking and holding out for big money fights BEFORE they even make a name for themselves (bradley im looking at you).

Comment

http://www.megavideo.com/?d=UB7Y575S

password: sweet boxing (1 word, no spaces)

Here is a fight that probably went under most peoples radars this year, but watch it, it only last 2 rounds

Comment

Originally posted by chav View Post
                http://www.megavideo.com/?d=UB7Y575S

password: sweet boxing (1 word, no spaces)

Here is a fight that probably went under most peoples radars this year, but watch it, it only last 2 rounds
                Holy crap that was amazing!!! Buones Noches!!! LOL

Comment

I've missed almost all of the fights this year. I cant wait to get back to the states so that I can catch up all all of the great fights(and not so great fights)that I've missed. Fans like you guys is why I still lurk the NSB.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
                    It was a bad year for 'big' fights, but we've had some damn good boxing this year.

Berto-Ortiz
                    Wolak-Rodriguez
                    Angulo-Kirkland
                    Arce-Vasquez
                    Khan-Maidana
                    Morales-Maidana
                    Acosta-Rios
                    Rios-Antillion
                    Salido-Lopez
                    Concepcio-Marquez
                    Katsidis-Guerrero
                    Mayweather-Ortiz....exciting & controversial
                    JMM-PAC 3...cherry pick gone wrong, still exciting!

Comment

Working...
                    X