No announcement yet.

R.I.P. Johnny Tapia

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teresa Tapia has released a statement:

Today our family grieves the loss of a husband, a father and a close friend. With Johnny, the world has lost not just a Hall of Fame boxer but a special person, a fighter in life and in the ring. I am appreciative of all the support and condolences we’ve received and I thank Johnny’s many friends and fans for standing by in this difficult time.

I know many people are waiting for news but as we await the results of the autopsy I am not in a position to make any comment on what happened on Sunday.

We will hold a public memorial service for Johnny to give everyone a chance to say good-bye. The holiday and autopsy are delaying our final plans. We will announce the particulars as soon as arrangements have been made.

I know Johnny will be missed by everyone who ever met him. He was a special light in this world. He loved people so much, made friends with everyone so easily and kept those friends forever. He will remain in our hearts and be missed by all of us very dearly.
    http://newmexicoboxing.com/statement-from-teresa-tapia

Comment

Originally posted by !! AI-Holmes!! View Post
      Teresa Tapia has released a statement:

Today our family grieves the loss of a husband, a father and a close friend. With Johnny, the world has lost not just a Hall of Fame boxer but a special person, a fighter in life and in the ring. I am appreciative of all the support and condolences we’ve received and I thank Johnny’s many friends and fans for standing by in this difficult time.

I know many people are waiting for news but as we await the results of the autopsy I am not in a position to make any comment on what happened on Sunday.

We will hold a public memorial service for Johnny to give everyone a chance to say good-bye. The holiday and autopsy are delaying our final plans. We will announce the particulars as soon as arrangements have been made.

I know Johnny will be missed by everyone who ever met him. He was a special light in this world. He loved people so much, made friends with everyone so easily and kept those friends forever. He will remain in our hearts and be missed by all of us very dearly.
      http://newmexicoboxing.com/statement-from-teresa-tapia

Tapia was one of my favorite fighters of the early 90's, a true warrior. And while Im not trying to be callous in his death Im betting its heart failure brought on by his drug use.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Tapia was one of my favorite fighters of the early 90's, a true warrior. And while Im not trying to be callous in his death Im betting its heart failure brought on by his drug use.
        Yeah, given his past history this wasn't unexpected and a drug related death is very probable. Sad that it happened, though, regardless of how predictable it might have been

Poet

Comment

For like four months after reading Mi Vida Loca, I prayed for Johnny every night before I went to bed. Not even religious, I just saw this coming and I was hoping I could put it off. I'm glad I got to see that warrior fight in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
            Yeah, given his past history this wasn't unexpected and a drug related death is very probable. Sad that it happened, though, regardless of how predictable it might have been

Poet
            Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
            For like four months after reading Mi Vida Loca, I prayed for Johnny every night before I went to bed. Not even religious, I just saw this coming and I was hoping I could put it off. I'm glad I got to see that warrior fight in the ring.
            Sadly this was only a matter of time and not surprising. Wonderful fighter, but a cursed life. RIP.

Comment

Rest in Peace. Everyone I met who knew him always told me he was a great guy.

Comment

He led his life and he died. It started off not so good for him, but, when you total it up, he got more out of it than most people. He fought his devils, and it went back and forth. He came out ahead for a long time and it will probably turn out that they got him at the end.
                Nobody lives forever. Nobody survives life, no matter how you choose to live it.

Comment

"Mi Vida Loca" RIP Johnny Tapia.

Comment

Damn! Sad news man. A warrior passes.

Comment

RIP, this is very sad news, especially for a great champion.

Comment

Working...
                      X