No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: It All Worked Out For Richard Abril

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: It All Worked Out For Richard Abril

By Cliff Rold - Could it really have gone much different?

This Saturday night, 30-year old Lightweight Richard Abril (17-3-1, 8 KO) will face undefeated 24-year old Sharif Bogere (23-0, 15 KO) with the WBA belt on the line. They were supposed to fight late last year but a Bogere injury delayed the bout.

Eleven months ago, Abril could already have sealed up the WBA title. He handed Brandon Rios his first loss and was told different by judges Jerry Roth and Glenn Trowbridge. Even if they’d scored what most of those who saw the fight did, and there really weren’t that many, a fight with Bogere was likely the next point on the map for Abril.

Win this weekend, and he’ll be where he should be and without really losing any traction despite the unfortunate outcome against Rios.

Let’s be honest: Abril isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. His style is educated to be sure, but it’s also awkward, with plenty of clinching and inside work. The showdown with Bogere is not highly anticipated as an action fight.

In other words, Abril is unlikely to ever command super figures at the gate or from television. Boxing loves a winner, but not every winner becomes a star. Even with the Rios win, Abril would have been an unlikely arrival at a big payday. Rios could still have gone on to his excellent scrap with Mike Alvarado and come out with the Abril fight as a quickly forgotten blemish.

It stinks to see a fighter win what for them is a big fight and not get the nod. It stinks a lot worse when it sets a career dramatically off course. [Click Here To Read More]

Abril has been tremendously lucky that the WBA, for some reason, has been so magnanimous towards him. Richie could've just wound up forgotten after the Rios fight. Instead, he's getting the consideration so few have been granted. I'm happy for Abril.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      Abril has been tremendously lucky that the WBA, for some reason, has been so magnanimous towards him. Richie could've just wound up forgotten after the Rios fight. Instead, he's getting the consideration so few have been granted. I'm happy for Abril.
      After that masterclass ass-whopping how can my boy Abril be forgotten?

Let's be honest my man, the media and many around these ways have "forgotten" Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by damit305 View Post
        After that masterclass ass-whopping how can my boy Abril be forgotten?

Let's be honest my man, the media and many around these ways have "forgotten" Richard.
        Coño, where've you been, bro? Are you going to the Rigo fight? A few of the compadres here, including myself, are.

Abril's style is not very popular, to put it mildly. The guy has gotten at least two, possibly three, bad breaks already in his short career. Only a handful of people even remotely care about Richie. I think it's safe enough to say Abril would've been forgotten. Sadly, not too many people would've noticed his absence.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
          Coño, where've you been, bro? Are you going to the Rigo fight? A few of the compadres here, including myself, are.

Abril's style is not very popular, to put it mildly. The guy has gotten at least two, possibly three, bad breaks already in his short career. Only a handful of people even remotely care about Richie. I think it's safe enough to say Abril would've been forgotten. Sadly, not too many people would've noticed his absence.
          Aqui.. Never left my man, I SEE all of you.

I wasn't planning on going...but might just jump on a 'train' going north.

WAR ABRIL!

Comment

The Lion entering the Ring in the Cage should be Fun to watch!!!

Comment

Working...
            X