Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Ali have been able to beat Joe Louis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Ali have been able to beat Joe Louis?

I'll provide my reasoning for why I think he would've later but I want to see your responses first.

I think so,but i also think its a very tough fight for him,his speed and mobility was tough for anyone to deal with even the great Joe louis,couple that with Ali's durability i think he has the edge in this one

Comment

I think Joe Louis would be one of the easier h2h matchups for Ali. He would have a harder time with Ken Norton and Joe Frazier for example.

Comment

Its a ridiculously tough fight for Ali. Joe was so fast, powerful and accurate. But the fight films show that he had tremendous issues with movers, even when he was young......

Whenever I watch his matches with Farr, Conn, or Walcott I shudder at the thought of what prime Ali would have done. In Ali you have someone who is taller, heavier, faster of hand and foot, with a telescopic reach and one of the best abilities to absorb punches ever. To beat prime Ali you need ridiculous pressure and workrate, but Louis was more of a stalker. Its a nasty style matchup for him.

I'd expect a decision win for Ali. But Ali would have to be on his bike much of the night!

I do favour prime Louis over several versions of Clay/Ali. I'd favour him over the 1960-1963 Ali, who just wasn't quite poilished enough before Liston. I'd also favour him over the 1970-1971 Ali who met Quarry, Bonavena and Frazier.......and also every version of Ali post Thrilla in Manilla 1975 (though the Ali that met Norton 3 & Shavers would still offer stern resistance).

Comment

Would Ali have been able to beat Louis?

Yes. Based on Conn's dominance against Louis before being knocked out and Ali's victories over Liston and Foreman, an Ali victory over Louis is a plausible proposition.

Comment

H2H Ali would have beaten anyone in heavyweight history. Louis would have had too much trouble with the hand and foot speed of Ali, IMO.

Comment

I think they both had tool to give each other trouble.

Louis' jab combined with his underrated and surprising speed and timing would give Ali problems.

On the other hand, Ali's handspeed and footspeed would trouble Louis. No question about it.

Both were better against fighter's who engaged as opposed to boxed so it would be a good fight.

I'd probably lean on Ali. His footspeed is something that no heavyweight have never and will never ever match.

Comment

Ali wins with his speed, IMO.

Comment

ali beats louis , im sorry but thats just how it is like another poster said louis had serious trouble with movers.louis has a better chance if it is the ali who fought doug jones even then i would still have ali on points

Comment

50/50 for me.

Joe never met a fighter as good as Ali in his prime, nor IMO did Ali meet a fighter as good as Joe Louis in his prime.

Comment

Working...
                    X