No announcement yet.

asteroid to pass by earth next friday

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HUGH JASS View Post
    what would they use for to move the asteroids gravitational pull?
    Yeah.

The asteroid would have an attraction by virtue of a force to your spacecraft (as all masses are attracted to all other masses in Newtonian gravitation).

Force is used to accelerate objects by either changing their velocity or direction, in this case the force the asteroid has for your spacecraft would change it's direction over time, plotting a new course that would miss the earth.

Obviously the gravitational force isn't massive but you don't need to alter the direction much at all to create a large change when the massive distances of space are involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
      If spotted early asteroids are easy to stop.

Simply park something next to it and the gravitational attraction the asteroid has for your object moves it off course.

Even the slight movement achieved can make it miss Earth.

If they are spotted late it's usually a case of evacuation.

Simply..... park something.... next to it....................

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
        The idea is simple the execution isn't.

But it's doable. Especially with many years prep.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
          Yeah.

The asteroid would have an attraction by virtue of a force to your spacecraft (as all masses are attracted to all other masses in Newtonian gravitation).

Force is used to accelerate objects by either changing their velocity or direction, in this case the force the asteroid has for your spacecraft would change it's direction over time, plotting a new course that would miss the earth.

Obviously the gravitational force isn't massive but you don't need to alter the direction much at all to create a large change when the massive distances of space are involved.
          so it wouldnt need to be within lets say 100s of miles to change the trajectory of the asteroid

Comment

Originally posted by HUGH JASS View Post
            so it wouldnt need to be within lets say 100s of miles to change the trajectory of the asteroid
            I think it'd be easier to actually sit your craft on the surface of the asteroid. But I don't know.

I'm not sure how close it would need to be, depends on the size of your craft as the force acting on the asteroid from the craft depends on the mass of both and the distance between them (as you've noted)

I would expect it to be quite close, which is why landing on it is a good idea.

Also landing on it would change the mass of the asteroid which would hopefully have an effect on its direction as well, as the force it experiences acting towards massive bodies in space would change.

There would need to be a lot of calculation involved but I'd have lots of faith in the guys at NASA to pull it off, they are smart.
            Last edited by Barn; 02-07-2013, 11:45 AM.

Comment

I think it would be easier..... to sit your craft........ on..... an asteroid...................

Comment

Originally posted by the reed™ View Post
                simply..... Park something.... Next to it....................
                Originally posted by the reed™ View Post
                i think it would be easier..... To sit your craft........ On..... An asteroid...................
                lmfao..............

Comment

I think it would be easier..... to sit your craft........ on..... an asteroid...................
                  I think it would be less complicated than driving your craft next to it at the exact velocity/acceleration for a long time.

If you only get the same velocity and whatnot for a little while then it's not impossible.

If your craft is moving similarly to the asteroid it's a case of just moving downwards onto it. Everything else is similar and can hopefully cancel out.

For the same reason it's not hard to fall from a building onto the same place below you even though the Earths surface is moving through space. You're both moving at the same speed through space.

I'm sort of thinking aloud so keep picking me up if I talk nonsense.

Comment

I don't think parking a spacecraft in space is going to have a worthwhile gravitational pull on an asteroid. Certainly landing on it would be feasible though.

Comment

2:45. Neil Tyson explains it better with the aid of an apple and a battery.

Comment

Working...
                      X