No announcement yet.

In Cotto v Marg I, did Cotto.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
    Going to Margarito's body is easier said than done. For starters you have to have good foot speed and some quickness, like Manny and Mosley had. I think Cotto lacks a little in those departments, which means attempting to do so leaves him lingering long enough to eat an uppercut or two. Would like to see if they've implemented something new for this fight that would allow him to do that.
    He needs to get close work the body and get out of there. But he should mix it up don't become predictable. Cotto is a lot faster then marg so I believe he can target the body.

Comment

Originally posted by Money_May View Post
      He needs to get close work the body and get out of there. But he should mix it up don't become predictable. Cotto is a lot faster then marg so I believe he can target the body.
      I agree. He'll need to be quicker on his feet but most important, he'll need better D in close quarters because he can't jump in and out for 12 rounds. At some point he'll need to break Margarito down in close quarters.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin City View Post
        Shane worked him to the body and beat him to the punch, pounding his head in then clinching... & Pac boxed him in and out beating him to the punch, focusing a lot on the body.

The key to beating Tony is to either get off first, or not let him get off at all and hit him to the body from what we've seen of his two last losses. Cotto is gonna have to do one or the other if not both.

I hope he can execute his gameplan as well!
        I've been anticipating this fight more then I did Marquez v Pac II or Ortiz v Mayweather! Although I was super stoked for those two fights too not gonna lie.. the bad blood between these two just escalates this **** so much higher though!
        This is exactly what I expected him to do the first time around. Hopefully he gets it done this time.

Comment

Yeah but he's facing Margarito not Mosley.
          what's your point?

we were talking about speed here. obviously Cotto can generate Mosley kind of speed here, which you said he needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin City View Post
            what's your point?

we were talking about speed here. obviously Cotto can generate Mosley kind of speed here, which you said he needed.
            Cotto cannot generate Mosley speed of hand or of foot. And that's besides the point, they are three very different fighters so how they implement their "speed" is different.

Comment

Cotto's body punching repetoire is limited. He doesn't have a straight to the center of the body like Pac and Shane have. Margarito tucked his elbows in and picked off his hooks with his elbows. Once Cotto saw he couldn't land his left hook to the body he settled for head shots.

I'm hoping Margs feels the punches to the eyes more than he's anticipating and it makes him raise his hands enough for Cotto to land his hooks to the body. Or he should learn how to throw a straight to the center of the stomach.

Comment

Cotto headhunted far too much in their first bout.

Credit needs to go to Margarito because looking back he did a great job of protecting his body and forcing Cotto to headhunt.

For Cotto to hit Margarito's body more consistently this time around, he has to do what Mosley did which was to get off first then tie Margarito up. Mosley was even able to do damage on Margarito in the clinches also.

Cotto's problem is that he isn't a clincher or a good inside fighter like Mosley is though.

Hopefully in training he has worked on using those tactics because he can't rely on what he did in the first fight which was to constantly use lateral movement, land his shots and get out again because he simply doesn't have the stamina to do it.

Comment

Going to Margarito's body is easier said than done. For starters you have to have good foot speed and some quickness, like Manny and Mosley had. I think Cotto lacks a little in those departments, which means attempting to do so leaves him lingering long enough to eat an uppercut or two. Would like to see if they've implemented something new for this fight that would allow him to do that.
                  This. I remember Cotto saying that it's not that he didn't want to throw to the body, it's that the opportunities weren't presenting themselves. Cotto's gonna need to throw to the pit of the stomach, instead of lookin for the left hook, if Margarito didn't have a strong chin, he would be a dead man as he leaves his face exposed all the time so it's an easier target. Aim for the eye and the pit of the stomach. However, if Marg is keepin his arms higher to protect his eye, then the body is wide open for hooks.

Comment

Working...
                  X