Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
    Price is more conditioned and "traditionally skilled"

Fury is the more natural athlete and more "unorthodox skills"

The untrained eye tends to prefer the former, while the latter may in fact be superior.
    my perception is that Fury has all the skills Price has and more. he's much the more versatile fighter, even at this stage. i wouldn't necessarily class that as unorthodoxy so much as just having a deeper range to draw from, but i understand how it may come across that way by contrast with a very rigid style like Price's. in truth, Fury just possesses more of the things that a boxer is ideally supposed to have.

as for any claims that Fury is not athletically gifted - he possesses fine handspeed and is very lithe and agile for a man his size, as you pointed out, which will only become more apparent as his condition continues to improve.

Comment

...and more "unorthodox skills"
      I guess that's a good way of putting lack of skills.

'He's not got bad technique, he's just unorthodox'.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post

i have read your posts on Fury and they are uniformly dreadful.

Fury is the more skilled fighter and has much more upside and long-term potential. that would still be true even if some of his developmental flaws were exposed at some point in the near future and he took a loss, which is always possible.

Comment

Mize, you hate the dude just admit it.

Remember you're laughably self-preserving Fury/Johnson prediction.

"Johnson is rubbish but still might beat fury"

I've got you covered for Fury/Cunningham

"Cunningham is small and tiny, but he still might do fury!"
          Last edited by Earl-Hickey; 01-31-2013, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
            You can't compare Fury to those 3, they were a hell of lot more athletic than Fury will ever be at 24 and even they slowed down a lot before they reached the top, if Fury gets any slower he'll stop moving.
            this is what I was thinking...wlad and lewis were both olympic gold medal winners and vitali probably would've been as well had he not been linked to roids not to mention vitali was kickboxing in his early twenties

fury is nowhere near their level

if by "in his prime" earl u mean will he get better I'm saying no he won't

the guy is very limited and his attempts at being slick won't do much against someone like wlad or pulev who would pound on him like nothing he's ever experienced

he isn't a big puncher and his defense has major holes in it...he punches at a decent speed though but his jab is decent at most

Comment

Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
              i have read your posts on Fury and they are uniformly dreadful.
              particularly the ones featuring the unsound reasoning that Price has blown through opponents where Fury has been placed in adversity by some of his.

it's precisely because Fury has had an uneven road that he will be better served by his early fights than Price will. he's learned more by having a harder time opponents (and common opponents) than Price has learned by blowing through them. the first time Price lands in some stylistic trouble and gets hurt, it'll be against someone at fringe-world or world level, someone more truly seasoned than himself (perhaps someone who has had the experience of rising from the deck to win, like Tyson has), and he won't have it there to draw on. not to mention that, while Fury's road hasn't been smooth, he still has the two best opponents that either he or Price has faced on his record, and defeated them both.

repeatedly stating that Price had less trouble with one plodding, fat guy than Fury did (developmental leaps ago for Fury) does not qualify statements that Price is the better fighter, either. triangulation is not by any means reliable. and of course Price will end more opponents than Fury and in quicker fashion, thus looking more impressive superficially. he's the bigger puncher. that does not make him the better fighter.

Comment

Mize, you hate the dude just admit it.

Remember you're laughably self-preserving Fury/Johnson prediction.

"Johnson is rubbish but still might beat fury"

I've got you covered for Fury/Cunningham

"Cunningham is small and tiny, but he still might do fury!"
                Hates such a strong word and one I do not feel concerning boxers. I like Fury, he's an entertaining character with an exciting style. For a him his size he moves well, has a great engine and even works the body.

But he's not as good as you think.

Johnson was capable of beating Fury, or at least having a good go but he's such a lazy ****. Fury looked OK in the fight but still made some silly mistakes. Cunningham will pose a much bigger threat to Fury as he's not so unpredictable like Safety pin.

I don't overlook his wins, Johnson is a decent name on his resume but I'm waiting to see someone who'll match Fury's jab and give him some problems to deal with. If he comes through Cunningham I'll give him credit but I won't be satisfied until he fights someone his own size. In a division full of 'giants', he's yet to meet one.

Comment

Just doing some comparrisons, as the big superheavies seem to hit prime later.

Fury is currently 24

Lennox Lewis at age 24, Lewis had just turned Pro. I'd argue Lewis hit his prime around 1997, around the time of the Golota fight, at age 32.

Wladamir Klitschko at age 24, Wlad had his first impressive win against Chris Byrd, the worst was yet to come though, with two stoppage losses in three years time, at age 27. I'd say Wlad hit prime in 2007, around the time of the Brewster rematch, at the age of 30

Vitali Klitschko at age 24, Vitali had just turned Pro, I'd argue Vitali hit his prime around 2003, when he fought Lewis and Kirk Johnson, at the age of 31. possibly a little later.

As you can see, all those guys were at least 6-7 years away from their primes, with many ups and downs in front of them at the age of 24. Do you think Fury is in his prime yet?
                  Physical prime, yes.

Comment

But he's not as good as you think.
                    he's certainly closer to being as potentially good as Earl thinks than he is to being as bad and as lacking in potential as you think.

Comment

Originally posted by ROSS CALIFORNIA View Post
                      Physical prime, yes.
                      that's not the question, and even if it was i very much doubt that's true.

Comment

Working...
                      X