No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Buckland-Truscott Early Results From Ponds Forge Arena

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Buckland-Truscott Early Results From Ponds Forge Arena

Ponds Forge Arena, Sheffield, Yorkshire ---------- After a decade of bloody wars it seemed as if Bradley Pryce was next-to-finished last year, when he dropped not one but two close consecutive decisions to Colin Lynes and Sergey Rabchenko in 2011. However, a move to the middleweight division helped the 31-year veteran to use another of his nine lives at a higher weight class. First, Pryce narrowly outpointed Danny Butler and earlier tonight he barely added determined Partick Mendy (13-5, 1 KO) to his list of victims.

[Click Here To Read More]

'not-so-illustrious-career'?

Really snide, b1tchy comment. There should be no place for snidey comments like that in a proper piece of journalism. Where is your professionalism? Truscott won a commonwealth title - it doesn't make him Sugar Ray, but you still shouldn't be sniping and sneering at a guy like that and he's still only 25.

Total lack of respect for the people that make the sport - the fighters. As a journalist, that's unforgivable. You don't have to rate every fighter, but dismissing a 25yr old ex-commonwealth champion's career in such a snidey, back-handed manner is really ****ty of you.
    Last edited by StoraMonkey; 03-24-2012, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StoraMonkey View Post
      'not-so-illustrious-career'?

Really snide, b1tchy comment. There should be no place for snidey comments like that in a proper piece of journalism. Where is your professionalism? Truscott won a commonwealth title - it doesn't make him Sugar Ray, but you still shouldn't be sniping and sneering at a guy like that and he's still only 25.

Total lack of respect for the people that make the sport - the fighters. As a journalist, that's unforgivable. You don't have to rate every fighter, but dismissing a 25yr old ex-commonwealth champion's career in such a snidey, back-handed manner is really ****ty of you.
      A journalist's task is not only to give facts but also to assess them. I have never written that Paul Truscott is the bad fighter, which he is not. But all he did to this point was a short stint as a Commonwealth titleholder. That's good but it's not even a European level we speak about. And from what I saw yesterday, Truscott has little-to-no power to assist his dreams. He is very tall for this weight but his punches are week, he is easy to hit and he was clearly dominated when he stepped up into the higher weight class. That doesn't mean he is finished, but it's always hard to see a good boxer turning into a stepping stone for young enforcers, that's why I wrote the article in such a way.

I have always been honest with myself. When the fighter is shot or finished I'm writing about that. I told Roman Karmazin exactly that, speaking of my concerns before the Adamu fight was made. I told him, "Listen up. You have been badly hurt in Geale's fight. Don't you think you shouldn't continue fighting after that?" That's a hard statement to answer but this what it is. And, truly speaking, Karmazin had a much more stellar career than Truscott.

I would be very glad to be wrong though and I shall only be happy if the fighter would prove me dead wrong.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Of course journalists have to be critical, but suggesting that a 25 year old should retire because he had a poor fight? Not every fighter is Mayweather. Truscott is a pro who's won a Commonwealth title - many, many pro's would be happy if they could look on a career with just one title. To dismiss his entire career as 'not-so-illustrious' just seems completely unnecessary.

If all fighters like Truscott retired you and I would have nothing to watch - not every fight is going to be top draw.

Comment

Working...
        X