Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is Anthony Johsua going to go pro?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is Anthony Johsua going to go pro?

When is the Gold medalist Olympic Champion going to join the pro ranks?

I think he is definitely going to the amateur world championships, then he'll probably make a decision after that.

I thought as well that he was going to fight in the WSB (which is for all intents and purposes 'pro') but i cant find the article which said it, which makes me think i may have made it up.

Comment

this article has pretty much everything...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/20516560

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
        this article has pretty much everything...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/20516560
        great thanks

Comment

I could well be mistaken but I thought he wanted to do Rio.

Comment

Originally posted by taansend
            he was on sky sports news yesterday saying one step at a time but he will be doing world championships

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

I cant understand this guys logic TBH. He got pretty dam lucky in London and IMO should have cashed in straigth after. he has the physique, personality and Gold medal to make a load of dough in his early career (ala Khan) I think he is very rigid and robotic as a fighter and looks to get hurt everyime he is clipped, the chances are if he doesnt turn pro now he will get ebaten at the world championships and all the interest will be gone.

Plenty of big fights aorund dmoestically for him if he were to turn pro. Imagine him vs tyson fury 5-6 down the line or even a grudge match against Dillain Whyte (Who beat him in the Amateurs and who I think is better than Joshua) subject to him fighting again after his failed drugs test.

Comment

Originally posted by No1 View Post
                I cant understand this guys logic TBH. He got pretty dam lucky in London and IMO should have cashed in straigth after. he has the physique, personality and Gold medal to make a load of dough in his early career (ala Khan) I think he is very rigid and robotic as a fighter and looks to get hurt everyime he is clipped, the chances are if he doesnt turn pro now he will get ebaten at the world championships and all the interest will be gone.

Plenty of big fights aorund dmoestically for him if he were to turn pro. Imagine him vs tyson fury 5-6 down the line or even a grudge match against Dillain Whyte (Who beat him in the Amateurs and who I think is better than Joshua) subject to him fighting again after his failed drugs test.
                dont forget he also won silver in the world champs losing in the final by only one point. I wouldnt be so confident in saying his olympic gold was a fluke. Even if he did lose to the Cuban Savon in the first round after that he dominated until the final where he won a close (but i think deserved) victory.

Also, and i know this gets said a lot but its still valid, the guy is still a complete novice. Hes winning at the moment on pure athleticism, give him time and his fluidity in the ring will improve. I think that is the main reason he wants to stay amateur, for the consistent ring experience against world class opponents. Personally i'd like to see him go pro after the World championships, hopefully with Matchroom so his fights will be on Sky.

edit: i say matchroom but if goldenboy are still sniffing around the uk market the exposure he will get from would be crazy, plus they work with sky aswell (with Khan)
                Last edited by Tom Cruise; 01-15-2013, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by taansend View Post
                  That's what I heard... and if he thinks he'll win Gold again... I feel bad for him for thinking that

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                    dont forget he also won silver in the world champs losing in the final by only one point. I wouldnt be so confident in saying his olympic gold was a fluke. Even if he did lose to the Cuban Savon in the first round after that he dominated until the final where he won a close (but i think deserved) victory.

Also, and i know this gets said a lot but its still valid, the guy is still a complete novice. Hes winning at the moment on pure athleticism, give him time and his fluidity in the ring will improve. I think that is the main reason he wants to stay amateur, for the consistent ring experience against world class opponents. Personally i'd like to see him go pro after the World championships, hopefully with Matchroom so his fights will be on Sky.

edit: i say matchroom but if goldenboy are still sniffing around the uk market the exposure he will get from would be crazy, plus they work with sky aswell (with Khan)
                    That's what i;m saying. In any other country he would have lost by a very wide margin to Savon and IMO and quite a few others he lost to the Italian in the final. I'm not putting him down as a fighter but I think he should make haye whislt the sun shines. For any Amateur boxer now is the time to turn pro whilst your fresh in the peoples minds. If for isntance johsua gets to the world championsips, flops and doesnt medal? he will be forgotten and his once attractive Gold medal and popularity will be tarnished. People flock to the winners and not the runners up.

Comment

Working...
                    X