No announcement yet.

small head not good for boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small head not good for boxing?

The only time it's hard for me to recover from a punch is when I'm hit in the side of the head, but not the front. I get dizzy and disoriented when hit on the side, but stay focused when hit in the face. I was thinking my head might be too small to take a punch (21.3 in. around, I measured it very tight around), and therefore not wise to keep boxing. My question is do people who have bigger heads also are able to recover faster? Does having a large head give you an advantage?

Originally posted by Psyber View Post
    My question is do people who have bigger heads also are able to recover faster? Does having a large head give you an advantage?
    I've read that a boxer's "chin" -- his ability to take a punch to the head -- is determined by his neck strength. Do you work your neck? Bridges, weight pulls, stretches, etc?

Your head size shouldn't matter. I have a very small head for my size but I have a very strong neck, and I can withstand one hell of a punch to the head.

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post
      I've read that a boxer's "chin" -- his ability to take a punch to the head -- is determined by his neck strength. Do you work your neck? Bridges, weight pulls, stretches, etc?

Your head size shouldn't matter. I have a very small head for my size but I have a very strong neck, and I can withstand one hell of a punch to the head.
      Yes, kind of.

someone with a thin neck is less likely to take hard ounches easily than a guy with a thick strong neck

peace out

Comment

It's how wide your jaw is really. If you have a small head you might have a thin skull. It does matter. You'll take a lot of hooks to the head, more so than to the jaw so if it's a big problem for you, you might want to re-think things or work on your defense. You shouldn't really take any big hooks as an amateur boxer, learn to defend against them, it's somewhat easy. It's the right straight to the jaw that catches most decent amateur boxers.

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post

Yes, the more you stretch and strengthen your neck, the more likely that you'll be able to take a punch. Those exercises sound good.

Originally posted by Count Patron View Post
          It's how wide your jaw is really. If you have a small head you might have a thin skull. It does matter. You'll take a lot of hooks to the head, more so than to the jaw so if it's a big problem for you, you might want to re-think things or work on your defense. You shouldn't really take any big hooks as an amateur boxer, learn to defend against them, it's somewhat easy. It's the right straight to the jaw that catches most decent amateur boxers.
          Your jaw size doesn't matter really. Often someone with a wide, strong jaw will be able to take a punch, but that is more often because they also happen to have a strong neck. There have been a number of fighters though with wide strong looking jaws that couldn't take a good punch though.

Strengthen your neck with things like Fraidy Cat suggested. That is good advice. One thing that is to your advantage with having a small head is that if you learn defense very well, it is ten times harder to hit you. Winky Wright is a great example of this. He has wide shoulders and a strong neck with long arms. His head is also proportionally small and it makes him that much harder to hit with his type of defense. Learn to open your gloves out and do exercises to strengthen up your forearms and shoulders. If you drop your chin and tuck it in and learn to cover your head and body with the 'Winky shell' defense having a smaller head is really to your advantage!

Learn to take any supposed disadvantage and turn them into an advantage. I think this is actually a very good thing for you as this type of thing can make you a much better fighter by giving you a different perception on how to turn something into a fighting asset. Take advantage of it! Learn some great defense and become impossible to hit to the head!

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
            Yes, the more you stretch and strengthen your neck, the more likely that you'll be able to take a punch. Those exercises sound good.

Your jaw size doesn't matter really. Often someone with a wide, strong jaw will be able to take a punch, but that is more often because they also happen to have a strong neck. There have been a number of fighters though with wide strong looking jaws that couldn't take a good punch though.

Strengthen your neck with things like Fraidy Cat suggested. That is good advice. One thing that is to your advantage with having a small head is that if you learn defense very well, it is ten times harder to hit you. Winky Wright is a great example of this. He has wide shoulders and a strong neck with long arms. His head is also proportionally small and it makes him that much harder to hit with his type of defense. Learn to open your gloves out and do exercises to strengthen up your forearms and shoulders. If you drop your chin and tuck it in and learn to cover your head and body with the 'Winky shell' defense having a smaller head is really to your advantage!

Learn to take any supposed disadvantage and turn them into an advantage. I think this is actually a very good thing for you as this type of thing can make you a much better fighter by giving you a different perception on how to turn something into a fighting asset. Take advantage of it! Learn some great defense and become impossible to hit to the head!
            I am cracking up right now as I pictured Howard Stern's Beetlejuice in the ring...

Comment

Working...
            X