HBO should sell boxing DVD's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBO should sell boxing DVD's

Think of it this way...

Say a fight does 1M PPV sales, that don't necessarily mean only 1M people saw the event. It only means 1M cable/satellite accounts were billed for the fight.

Now, lets say ou were one of the 1M that paid for the PPV and it was such a great fight that you just want to see it again, but the only way to re-watch is a week later OnDemand or wait till crappy versions are posted on YouTube. Or, your computer is messed up and you can't downloaded it from here?

I would rather go to Best Buy and buy the event on DVD/Blu ray instead of a crappy version that takes away from the experience.

HBO could turn that 1M into 10+ million easily!

What you think?
    Yes, I'd love to rewatch PPV events in HD and have them available whenever I want to watch again.
    74.19%
    No, that's what YouTube and NSB is for.
    22.58%
    It makes no difference for the sport or HBO.
    3.23%

I've been wanting that forever, good thing I have 3 dvr's recorded with fights starting with Mayweather vs Mosley to pacquiao vs Marquez 4 but seriously boxing just needs more DVD's I'm tired of seeing all these UFC videos at best buy and stuff they got it right like the other day my uncle said he got the 100 greatest UFC fights imagine if they had a DVD like that for boxing !!!!

Comment

I'm all for it, though I would never purchase any since I would just download them. But why not? Boxing fans would surely buy them.

Comment

HELL TO THE MUTHAPHUKIN YEAH

also, ESPN should put there FNF's and Ringside Classics on DVD too.

Comment

Heres a pretty good Article on this exact subject....

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=3390712

"Even though there is a market, it's not big enough," says Ross Greenburg, president of HBO Sports. "Legitimate businessmen have to release a video the old-fashioned way, with professional packaging and duplication and marketing. If it costs you $50,000 to release a DVD, and you're only going to sell 1,000 units, do the math. It doesn't work."
          And that's besides the convoluted rights issues for boxing video. There may be numerous rights holders in a single boxing match, explains Kweder, who, as senior director of programming and acquisitions at ESPN Classic, obtains rights to rebroadcast boxing for "Classic Night at The Fights."

"You have the promoter of the actual fight," Kweder said. "The promoters of the fighters. You're dealing with the networks. And, at times, we even have to deal with the fighters themselves because they hold some stake in the fight."
          Article is old, but probably still applies.

Comment

They should just put fights up in HD on itunes like they do with their other shows to rent or buy.

Comment

Definitely agree. Perhaps even DVD collections for specific boxers with all their fights.

Comment

I agree , you can make documentary on the boxer + 15 of the boxers best fights on the DVD like the WWE

Comment

Why would you buy all those DVDs when you could pay this one website that has all the fights 30 bucks for a year and download them in hd that's a whole year of fights for 30 even the ppv next day or few days of course but come on **** hbo they don't need more money.

Comment

Originally posted by komodo View Post
                    They should just put fights up in HD on itunes like they do with their other shows to rent or buy.
                    You got digital cable? If you do and you have hbo just get hbo go it comes free for your computer or a app on your phone and you can watch fights they had on recently or the classics they put up they have the 24/7 and ring life's too

Comment

Working...
                    X