No announcement yet.

Punches landed vs connect percentages

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punches landed vs connect percentages

I'm a new fan of boxing and I was watching Barrera-Morales I (Great fight) Something got me thinking. Which is more important, the amount of punches landed or the connect percentages? Because I remember that Lederman and Merchant give rounds to Barrera due to having the higher connect percentage despite Erik landing more. But the judges didn't seem to think that way. Anybody can clear it up for me?

Originally posted by Nagabilly View Post
    I'm a new fan of boxing and I was watching Barrera-Morales I (Great fight) Something got me thinking. Which is more important, the amount of punches landed or the connect percentages? Because I remember that Lederman and Merchant give rounds to Barrera due to having the higher connect percentage despite Erik landing more. But the judges didn't seem to think that way. Anybody can clear it up for me?

it's all about the effectiveness of the blows.
    whose blows are more effective?
    who does more damage?

that's what you're asking yourself when you fill out a scorecard
    if you honestly think that the amount of damage being dealt out is equal you can move to other aspects of scoring (aggression, ring generalship, defense,)

or you can score a round even. if both guys deal out an equal beating on eachother you can score it even. if they land no punches you can score it even.
    judges in pro fights probably wont, but you're a grown man and you can do what you please if you know that a round is even

Comment

That's a good question...Supposedly, they score a round on clean punches, effective aggression, defense and ring generalship. So one guy lands 21 of 134, and the other guy lands 19 of 45, how do you count it? The quality of the punches being equal, I'd probably go for the 19/45. The numbers are close enough, but one guy missed 113 punches, so he loses effective aggression points, while the other guy gets defense points. Most judges now seem to score punches thrown, however.
      I don't put much into punch stat numbers. I don't know what they consider a punch that lands, and I think they are affected by crowd noise and other biases just like anybody else. For example, watch the first Chavez/Taylor fight. They said Taylor landed 33 punches in the first round and I didn't see it. Watch the fight in slo-motion, and they consistently score taylor punches that land on shoulders, elbows, or glance after having been deflected off gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        it's all about the effectiveness of the blows.
        whose blows are more effective?
        who does more damage?

that's what you're asking yourself when you fill out a scorecard
        if you honestly think that the amount of damage being dealt out is equal you can move to other aspects of scoring (aggression, ring generalship, defense,)

or you can score a round even. if both guys deal out an equal beating on eachother you can score it even. if they land no punches you can score it even.
        judges in pro fights probably wont, but you're a grown man and you can do what you please if you know that a round is even
        ^^^^^ That's it in a nutshell: The bottom line for scoring a round is who did more damage, every thing else is BS.

Poet

Comment

both punches landed and defense score points in pro boxing so it depends.

clean punches landed outweigh any other scoring criteria though so the punches landed is usually more important than the percentage, but the punches would have to be clean though.

if we say fighter A throws 100 punches with little force and lands 25, most of which are not clean or effective.

meanwhile fighter B throws just 50 and lands 20, but his punches are harder and cleaner. fighter B would probably win the round based on clean effective punching and defense even though his oponent landed more shots.

it depends on the scenario.

Comment

Working...
          X