No announcement yet.

How to attack this guy in sparring?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to attack this guy in sparring?

He is very tall, he holds back, waits and as you come in he throws a straight right cross downwards from up high and it comes at an angle to he rotates the hip a bit more than most when he throws a cross.

With my limited experience I find this really hard to get past, he has good timming on it, its all he does, he is a southpaw BUT so am I so this is a southpaw vs southpaw question so orthadox rules mostly apply.

When I try to jab my way in he just throws it and takes my jab, its hard in sparring because im not going full power so my jab might not be doing what its supposed to do.

He may well be arm punching alot too which makes it faster and awkward and harder to avoid since his hips dont have to torque first and he has more presision over it.
    Last edited by AlexKid; 04-10-2013, 11:10 PM.

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
    He is very tall, he holds back, waits and as you come in he throws a straight right lead downwards from up high and it comes at an angle to he rotates the hip a bit more than most when he throws a cross.

With my limited experience I find this really hard to get past, he has good timming on it, its all he does, he is a southpaw BUT so am I so this is a southpaw vs southpaw question so orthadox rules mostly apply.

When I try to jab my way in he just throws it and takes my jab, its hard in sparring because im not going full power so my jab might not be doing what its supposed to do.

He may well be arm punching alot too which makes it faster and awkward and harder to avoid since his hips dont have to torque first and he has more presision over it.
    What does your coach tell you to do? That's essential to not undermining his system. If your training in a system and then come to a forum to ask this question...You should 1st try to do what your trainer wants you to execute.Once you master that then you can add new techniques. Well it's up to you. Layer Cake

Comment

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
      What does your coach tell you to do? That's essential to not undermining his system. If your training in a system and then come to a forum to ask this question...You should 1st try to do what your trainer wants you to execute.Once you master that then you can add new techniques. Well it's up to you. Layer Cake
      Coach is ******ed, I want someone on heres answer.

Comment

I'm not sure maybe crouch down as you come in.Might work he is trying to jab downward so if he keeps jab that way crouch down make him jab even more downwards once that's done you're in hitting range give him a nice overhand right.I guess that's my idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Hailow View Post
          I'm not sure maybe crouch down as you come in.Might work he is trying to jab downward so if he keeps jab that way crouch down make him jab even more downwards once that's done you're in hitting range give him a nice overhand right.I guess that's my idea.
          Sorry mate that was missleading he throws a right cross as I come in, not a jab, and its comming down so even if I get under it ie duck jab cross to body it still hits me on the temple or face.

Comment

All fighters have a golden zone a space where they like fighting at and a punching range where they get the most leverage but they also have a dark place where they are not comfortable where they don't want to fight at where they can't get everything on their punches. Your job is to work out what these are and take the fighter to the dark place and into your golden zone. In this case his golden zone will be punching you as you come in at RANGE. You are shorter so your golden zone is closer in ,so work yourself in and fire away where you have leverage and he doesn't and try and stay there and fall in rather than out where he can nail you when you exit in his golden zone. This is what Hagler did to Hearns.hagler denied Hearns the room he wanted and made him fight closer in and kept banging away.

Comment

Watch Bernard Hopkins videos. Try to copy his "feinting" technique. You can draw in this guy's counter if he's a counter puncher, by making it look like you're coming in to punch and delaying the punch. When you see where his guard moves, look for an opening and attack it with the delayed punch.

Keep changing up your attacks so you're not predictable. Also, don't feel like YOU have to be the active one. If he's just waiting for you, fúck him, you can save your energy too.

Comment

It's never easy going against a taller opponent who doesn't like to engage and is OK with just waiting for you to come in and picking you off at a range he can hit you but can't be hit. It's what taller fighters should be doing.

1. Practice cutting off the ring and going in at angles. Don't follow him around the ring and don't come in on a straight line. That makes it very easy for him to time you on the way in. Make him use his feet.

2. Move your head on the way in. Don't start moving your head when you're out of HIS range, that only wastes energy. Start moving your head the moment before you enter his punching zone.

3. Since this guy is a southpaw, I am assuming when you said right cross, you mean left cross. Practice stepping in and slipping to the outside (your right) of the straight left hand at the same time and countering with a left hook to the body. You have to get in the habit of stepping in to close the distance in the same moment he is punching. The punching motion freezes his ability to move backwards but only for a short amount of time. This is your window to step in and do work.

Fighting fighters like this is all about minimizing taking damage on the way in (#1 and #2 does this) and making them pay when they throw punches (#3). When you do get inside, you should have the mindset that you want to do damage. Not saying you should do this but Mike Tyson didn't really go easy on sparring partners for a reason. His power was an essential part of his strategy. Tyson would step in on taller guys under their punches and brutalize them with body/head combinations. What that did was make them hesitate to throw punches...which essentially made them an accomplice to their own demise. If Tyson trained in a way where he was tentative once he got inside, that habit may have transferred into the fight which would be dangerous for him. Again, you may not want to do this yet because you could be going against some guys who can really hurt you if you start throwing bombs, but it should be your mind set.

Comment

No offence but I find it strange how you constantly ask for tips on how to deal with boxers yet you created a thread about 3 days ago saying 'We should kick fighters like Mayweather out of the sport and bring backs styles like Tyson and Marciano because it's exciting. A bit hypocritical?

Comment

You are both southpaws, and you want to avoid his straight left hand? Circle to you left around his lead foot; can't hit you with his left hand when you are out there.

Comment

Working...
                    X