No announcement yet.

WBO rules state be up at 8

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kiDynamite92 View Post
    why the f**k isn't it called the 8 count then?
    I agree; it is stupidly worded. The blame for the stoppage here lies with the WBO (and Malik Scott) not the ref.

Comment

OP I think (c) refers to the action the ref can take when the fighter is up early i.e. the ref doesn't have to let his opponent go at him immediately just because he's up.

It isn't saying the fighter has to be up by or on 8 as evinced by the later reference in (e):

If the Referee determines that the contestant is on his feet and fit to continue the fight before he reaches the ten count, he shall indicate to the timekeeper to ring the bell and the round will thereupon terminate.
      Although I suppose this wording suggests the ref needs to determine Scott is fit to continue by the "10" and I'm not sure how he could have done that without Scott standing for more than 1 second.

Awkwardly written rules all round.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeKidd View Post
        This is what happens when people spout BS. People start questioning their own common sense!
        Where's the BS? The rules are the WBO's, not mine.

It states the fighter has to be on his feet by the count of 8. Not 9, not 10. I know that's ******ed, I agree it's ******ed [it's a 10 count ffs] but I'm not spouting BS but quoting the rules as written.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeKidd View Post
          This is what happens when people spout BS. People start questioning their own common sense!
          just read the wording.. its convoluted and weird.

It says the ref can examine the situation if up by 8,,,,

then it says if the fighter not up by 10.. yada yada

so.... is it saying the ref CANT examine a situation if a fighter gets up by 9? lol

and.. if the ref can't examine a situation, what does he do? Wave the fight to continue without examining the fighter, or just wave the fight off? Also, if its all about ten, why did they even mention 8 in the rules?

whoever wrote that needs a labotomy

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
            OP I think (c) refers to the action the ref can take when the fighter is up early i.e. the ref doesn't have to let his opponent go at him immediately just because he's up.

It isn't saying the fighter has to be up by or on 8 as evinced by the later reference in (e).
            No mate, you just read wrongly. You quoted clause (e) which refers specifically to being saved by the bell, not a 10 count at any other point in the round.

Clause (c) is where the referee is guided to deciding whether a contestant has beaten the count or not. Nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by Syf View Post
              just read the wording.. its convoluted and weird.

whoever wrote that needs a labotomy
              QFT. It is absurdly written.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingfocus View Post
                Where's the BS? The rules are the WBO's, not mine.

It states the fighter has to be on his feet by the count of 8. Not 9, not 10. I know that's ******ed, I agree it's ******ed [it's a 10 count ffs] but I'm not spouting BS but quoting the rules as written.
                It doesn't though. It just states what a ref can do if the fighter is up by 8.

c) If, when reaching the count of eight (8), the fighter is up, the Referee, if he deems it necessary, may examine said contestant taking all the time needed to evaluate whether the contestant is fit to continue. If the Referee determines that the fighter is fit to continue, the Referee shall promptly order the contest to continue
                It doesn't state he has to be up by 8, merely that the ref can take as long as he wants if the fighter is up by 8. I think it's covering the situation where a fighter gets up too quickly from a knockdown on safety grounds, the ref can 'have a look' despite the fighter being on his feet in good time.
                Last edited by Weebler I; 07-22-2013, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
                  It doesn't state he has to be up by 8, merely that the ref can take as long as he wants if the fighter is up by 8. I think it's covering the situation where a fighter gets up too quickly from a knockdown on safety grounds, the ref can 'have a look'.
                  So if a fighter is up by 9, can a ref take as long as he wants to 'have a look'?

Because it seems to say he can only do that if up by 8...

Comment

Originally posted by shenmue View Post
                    Yeah, a 10 count rule shouldn't be confusing but it is now. is it a 8 count or a 10 count?. Do the rules vary from referee to referee?, from state to state? or country to country?.

MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
                    Nothing contradictory in those rules...just some people's interpretation. Ref wanted to count the guy out. If you want to know who a ref favours in a fight, watch when he breaks up the fighters. Which fighter actually gets the shove? That's the loser.

Comment

Originally posted by Syf View Post
                      So if a fighter is up by 9, can a ref take as long as he wants to 'have a look'?

Because it seems to say he can only do that if up by 8...
                      I'm surmising and probably being charitable to the legislators. You're right, it's very open-ended.

Comment

Working...
                      X