No announcement yet.

Terrific article about Leonard-Hagler

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrific article about Leonard-Hagler

I've been saving this long article for a slow day. It was well worth it. No way you read this and not learn a whole lot about this event.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ler-vs-leonard

Fantastic article. I loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      I've been saving this long article for a slow day. It was well worth it. No way you read this and not learn a whole lot about this event.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ler-vs-leonard

To this day I believe Hagler won that fight...I don't know how he lost basically. He wasn't mighty effective so wasn't Ray.

To this I am amazed people claim (Merchant), that Leonard finished stronger than Duran in their first fight. Duran basically stuck his chin out and landed jabs in Ray's face in that last round. Ray got beat in that fight convincingly.

I don't see how Ray finished stronger than Duran. However a myth needs its share of worshippers. In a recent thread people were asked who was the most complete of the fab four. Many said Ray Leonard.

I will always stick with Duran (though I am not a fan , and don't like his quitting) as the better fighter. Ray Leonard fought and won certain fights that I don't think he deserved to win, which always adds to his legacy.
      Last edited by Greatest1942; 10-29-2011, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
        To this day I believe Hagler won that fight...I don't know how he lost basically. He wasn't mighty effective so wasn't Ray.

To this I am amazed people claim (Merchant), that Leonard finished stronger than Duran in their first fight. Duran basically stuck his chin out and landed jabs in Ray's face in that last round. Ray got beat in that fight convincingly.

I don't see how Ray finished stronger than Duran. However a myth needs its share of worshippers.
        In the case of Duran-Leonard I, I think that response is because Ray finished better than he started. Duran rocked him bad early and seemed like he was going to win even bigger in the early rounds.

Comment

In the case of Duran-Leonard I, I think that response is because Ray finished better than he started. Duran rocked him bad early and seemed like he was going to win even bigger in the early rounds.
          Yea all true...its not same as finishing stronger than Duran is it? Much of the punches Ray showed off, like the bolo punch did not even land.

Comment

Yea all true...its not same as finishing stronger than Duran is it? Much of the punches Ray showed off, like the bolo punch did not even land.
            It's been awhile since I watched it, but my memory is that Duran dominated the first half of the fight and they fought evenly for the balance of the match. I think my card was 9-6. Leonard did gain in defeat the same way Ali did against Frazier. They proved they wouldn't just fold up under punishment as some predicted.

Comment

It's been awhile since I watched it, but my memory is that Duran dominated the first half of the fight and they fought evenly for the balance of the match. I think my card was 9-6. Leonard did gain in defeat the same way Ali did against Frazier. They proved they wouldn't just fold up under punishment as some predicted.
              I have no problem with your cards. Yea I had it somwwhat similar. They fought evenly, through the later half. Never did I however see Leonard finishing stronger.

I give credit to Leonard for hanging on there. BUt he was the favourite if my memory serves me correct. Against Hagler I feel Hagler did enough to win that fight. It was a bad decision.
              Last edited by Greatest1942; 10-30-2011, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I had Hagler - Leonard - 6-5-1 Hagler and Duran - Leonard 8-6-1 Duran.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                  I had Hagler - Leonard - 6-5-1 Hagler and Duran - Leonard 8-6-1 Duran.

Yes the Hagler Leonard fight was close. But I also scored it for Hagler. I just think he landed the cleaner harder punches and was the one trying to make a fight out of it...I simply couldn't give enough rounds even when I was trying to score for Leonard.

Comment

Yes the Hagler Leonard fight was close. But I also scored it for Hagler. I just think he landed the cleaner harder punches and was the one trying to make a fight out of it...I simply couldn't give enough rounds even when I was trying to score for Leonard.
                    Being a Hagler fan I also was a bit nice to Leonard to try and counteract any bias that might have happened on my part. I also watched with the sound on and the sound off. With the sound on the crowd really makes a difference as they go nuts whenever Ray throws punches at Haglers arms.

Comment

Working...
                    X