No announcement yet.

Juan Manuel Marquez: "Pacquiao is FASTER and hits HARDER than Mayweather"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juan Manuel Marquez: "Pacquiao is FASTER and hits HARDER than Mayweather"

Who punches harder and who is faster, Pacquiao or Mayweather?
    Posted Jul. 27, 2010 at 12:54am
    By Michael Rosenthal

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. -- Juan Manuel Marquez said the most-impressive element of Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s game is his defense, which Marquez called “impeccable” and “incredible.” It’s no wonder he landed only 69 punches in their September fight.

THE RING lightweight champion even told AOL Fanhouse that Mayweather is a better fighter than former opponent Manny Pacquaio "because he has a very difficult style."

One might be surprised, however, at Marquez’s response when he was asked to compare Mayweather with Pacquiao in two basic categories.

Who hits harder, Pacquiao or Mayweather?” someone asked Marquez at an open workout to promote his rematch against Juan Diaz on Saturday in Las Vegas.

I feel Pacquiao has a harder punch, a heavier punch. But Mayweather is very fast, very quick,” Marquez said through a translator.

OK, who’s faster, Pacquiao or Mayweather?" Someone else asked.

I believe Pacquiao, but Mayweather is fast too,” Marquez said.

That’s high praise for Pacquiao considering Mayweather is the naturally bigger man and considered one of the fastest fighters of his generation. And it might give pause to those who would make Mayweather the favorite if he can ever come to terms on a fight with Pacquiao.
    http://www.ringtv.com/blog/2158/who_...or_mayweather/
    Yes
    69.70%
    No
    12.12%
    Maybe
    18.18%

40M is better than 100M.

Comment

...considering Mayweather is the naturally bigger man...

Here we go again trying to make Manny look small.

Comment

Well PBF is supposed to be some kind of defensive wizard. So he cant also be the fastest, the most powerfullest, the most offensive and everything else as well.
        He has a good balance of speed and power though.

Comment

JMM was outweighed by 15 lbs. 2 divisions out of his comfort zone.
          the weight slowed HIM down, but Floyd came in at his best physical condition.

Mayweather discourages people from throwing. Pacquiao invites you to open up...so u get caught flush with that hammer left hand.

But yeah, Pac's movements are faster, and just might hit harder...but Floyd's punches discourage you from throwing. Floyd saves his hands for the whole fight. we know he has brittle knuckles.

I think it's an accurate assessment by JMM.

Comment

I think Floyd can actually punch very hard. He just does not go all out constantly in a fight, as putting bad intent on every punch will slow his defense some.

I have also seen him rock Oscar and Shane, both who have very good chins very well. He slowed them down with his timing and yes power.

Marquez would feel Manny hits harder and he he probably does. It is not all about who hits harder though. It is about having enough to hurt your opponent. Both pass that test.

Comment

Yes i agree, Manny is faster, more powerful and a better offensive fighter. On the other hand, Floyd has much better boxing skills and defense.

That's why it"s a toss up.

Comment

Having fought them both, Marquez is one of the best people to ask when comparing Pacquiao and Mayweather. That said, he fought Pacquiao back at 130. There's no way to know if Pacquiao lost any speed moving up to 147. We won't really know who is faster until they step into the ring and start throwing.

I wouldn't read into it too much though. Being stronger and faster doesn't mean a whole lot when you're facing a guy with top notch defensive and countering skills. Marquez gave Pacquiao plenty of trouble himself.

Comment

Originally posted by MindBat View Post

is Mayweather not the bigger man?

Comment

Originally posted by MindBat View Post

pac weighed 139 against hatton. a couple of months after, floyd can't even make 144 against jmm...now tell me who is the bigger man

Comment

Working...
                    X