Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is it with todays fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blame amateur boxing: That's where they learn that crap.

Poet

Comment

don't know if this fits this subject, but i noticed most of todays fighters lack a stiff jab like the way larry holmes, ali, foreman, srl, hagler, whitaker, ike quartey, oscar de la hoya had in their arsenal...even mike tyson, who usually was at a height/reach disadvantage with most of his opponents, would jab his way in to a guys chest area, then go to work...

i can still see that first fight when roy jones, fought montell griffin, lampley, and co. repeatedly commented on how short roy was jabbing, and basically saying roy jones, was afraid to step in with griffin...i know the science is about hitting and not getting hit, but not get hit AT ALL?...how do you learn how to take a shot like that?...maybe today's boxers just don't commit with their punches, for fear of getting punched back...hard...lol

Comment

Mitts are for speed and reactions. Your NOT punching threw mitts its a game of catch! If your punching threw the mitts your doing it wrong don't fall in love with the "sound" they make. If you work speed use the mitts if you want power go to the heavy bag then bring it in the spar ring! Ray

guys today punch to touch, the guys from years ago look to punch "through" the target!

Comment

the same thing with morales.........

he use to throw beautiful crisp combinations......

i don't know what happened with todays crop of fighters.........

but if you ask your averge modern day fan they won't know what you are talking about & will even get angry. "just because you see a fighter in black and white doesn't mean he was better"

typical response.

these guys really have no clue what we're talking about..........it's like boxers are going down in talent. generation after generation.......
          Last edited by Godsfly; 11-30-2012, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
            don't know if this fits this subject, but i noticed most of todays fighters lack a stiff jab like the way larry holmes, ali, foreman, srl, hagler, whitaker, ike quartey, oscar de la hoya had in their arsenal...even mike tyson, who usually was at a height/reach disadvantage with most of his opponents, would jab his way in to a guys chest area, then go to work...

i can still see that first fight when roy jones, fought montell griffin, lampley, and co. repeatedly commented on how short roy was jabbing, and basically saying roy jones, was afraid to step in with griffin...i know the science is about hitting and not getting hit, but not get hit AT ALL?...how do you learn how to take a shot like that?...maybe today's boxers just don't commit with their punches, for fear of getting punched back...hard...lol
            have people still not got it? roy, like he says all the time, looks to land big shots, to hurt, like a pro boxer should aim to do, what's landing a hard jab to him? the purpose of his jab is to bait you, counter his short jab and get caught with something big, jones is a boxing genius, honestly people think the only way you can use a jab is to punch someone in the face when the best use of the jabs is to read your opponents reactions and get openings

the keep busy powder puff jabs come in handy too, to blind your opponent, keep them on edge etc
            i'd have all those over a hard, step-in, full powered jab in terms of usefulness, although a stiff jab does help when you land it, not reccomended to throw too many unless your dominant hand is foward tho, again, in my opinon, strong jabs should 70% of the time be to the body
            Last edited by SplitSecond; 11-30-2012, 04:59 PM.

Comment

oh, and a shameful display of powder puff punches is bradley vs pacquiao, shocking stuff

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                when they let their hands go they throw pitty-pat combinations?

I am sure its gradually increasing too, I never used to see this.

What is this down to IYO? An increase in hand injuries with smaller gloves? Bad technique being taught by trainers?

You'd watch Holyfield, Duran, Tyson, Taylor etc etc
                There was non of this slapping/cuffing, powder-puff rubbish. Every shot in the combination was thrown with beautiful technique, no need for them to load up it just flowed beautifully. Nice n' crisp.

Its like a lot of todays fighters are very feminine.

I'm sure its been around forever but I'm certain there has been a large increase on the world stage.
                A few examples would be Nathan Cleverly, Sergio Mora, Derek Chisora, Joe Calzaghe, I also think Amir Khan is another guilty party at times, the Japanese guy who got crushed by Golovkin, it was like he was trying to hit him with an invisible handbag.

lol'd at the bold

the amateur points system is probably the chief culprit. if they brought it back to a ten point must you'd probably see more aggressive young fighters. a lot is going on, though. grant and winning gloves are huge and very well padded. losses are very damaging to careers, so guys don't want to take risks, especially when undefeated. long term deals, with guys thinking down the road and being conservative in victory.

there's plenty to blame. there are still punchers, though. guys still get bumped up and knocked out.
                Last edited by New England; 11-30-2012, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  To much mitt work and not enough on a heavy bag! The old school trainers are now beginning to be rare to find! The amatuer trainers who are breaking into the pro game train one way and the pro game will have to change into speed and score bout. To much on your toes and on the move instead of stepping in using a jab and head movement to get close and throw "meaningfull" punches! Counting copy box and listening to Lambley yak is a far cry from "hearing the punches" and having much less talking during a bout. Ray.
                  if anything the pads are more old school than the heavybag. idk why you would be more likely to pitty pat on the pads than the heavybag, you can throw slapping combinations on the heavybag and you can throw bombs on the pads.

knocking footwork too? movement is fundamental in boxing. why are you acting like you have to get on the inside to throw meaningful punches? look at martinez, he gets on his toes and uses his feet to find the right angle and then explodes from the outside. hearns, dlh, srr etc all threw bombs while moving around the ring.

what you talking bout aint got **** to do with the subject.

Originally posted by Cleto_Reyes View Post
                  Maybe they just dont have the power behind them? Shane mosley starting using that pitty pat combo towards the end of his career kinda weird
                  i love the way shane does that. throws a lightning quick flurry to make his opponent cover up then smack the ish out of him with one big shot when his oponent is blinded. beautiful stuff.

long story short its the amateur system. but fighters did pitty pat back in teh day too. diffrence is they did it to set up harder punches at the end of the combination, thats the whole purpose of throwing those quick series of punches. well the main purpose, they do score points too even if its not as much as a solid punch.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    lol'd at the bold

the amateur points system is probably the chief culprit. if they brought it back to a ten point must you'd probably see more aggressive young fighters. a lot is going on, though. grant and winning gloves are huge and very well padded. losses are very damaging to careers, so guys don't want to take risks, especially when undefeated. long term deals, with guys thinking down the road and being conservative in victory.

there's plenty to blame. there are still punchers, though. guys still get bumped up and knocked out.
                    This is why I hate boxing sometimes. Whoever started this bull**** ass trend SUCKS!

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                      when they let their hands go they throw pitty-pat combinations?

I am sure its gradually increasing too, I never used to see this.

What is this down to IYO? An increase in hand injuries with smaller gloves? Bad technique being taught by trainers?

You'd watch Holyfield, Duran, Tyson, Taylor etc etc
                      There was non of this slapping/cuffing, powder-puff rubbish. Every shot in the combination was thrown with beautiful technique, no need for them to load up it just flowed beautifully. Nice n' crisp.

Its like a lot of todays fighters are very feminine.

I'm sure its been around forever but I'm certain there has been a large increase on the world stage.
                      A few examples would be Nathan Cleverly, Sergio Mora, Derek Chisora, Joe Calzaghe, I also think Amir Khan is another guilty party at times, the Japanese guy who got crushed by Golovkin, it was like he was trying to hit him with an invisible handbag.

The first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread was the Mosley-Canelo fight when Shane had him on the ropes and threw about 15 pity pat punches.

That said, I wouldn't put Cleverly on that list. I saw his last fight and thought he was hitting pretty hard.

Comment

Working...
                      X