No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mayweather-Alvarez: Real History & Report Card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Mayweather-Alvarez: Real History & Report Card

by Cliff Rold - When stars collide in boxing, everything feels possible.

There are always big fights. There are not always Superfights. We have a Superfight this weekend. Anytime a weigh-in has more butts in the seats than most main events, one knows they are witnessing a spectacular event.

Floyd Mayweather is the biggest star in US boxing, maybe the biggest star since the heights of Mike Tyson and Ray Leonard. For the first time since those men, the biggest star also appears to be the game’s greatest fighter. Across the ring, he’ll find a young man desperate to supplant him.

This is already great theatre. The opening bell looms and we wonder if we will also get a great fight. To prepare for the hour at hand, a deeper examination is in order of the fight: its stakes, its historical implications and context, and its possible outcome.

We begin with the numbers. [Click Here To Read More]

this has got to be the biggest hype job ever Canelo has one of the crappiest resume's ever in the sport and hes about to be part of a historical money making event ..... ill be rooting for him ... but fuk crazy stuff

Comment

It's officially the day of here in Indiana. Wow. This feeling reminds me of when Haglar fought Leonard and a multitude of Tyson fights with my parents, aunts and uncles. The energy is crazy.

Comment

I give Golden Boy a lot of credit for hyping this fight up but if you want to know how this will turn out just look at the past champions they have faced believe it or not it tells a lot. They say Canelo gets better with every fight but you have to look at who he's getting better against. The reason De La Hoya, Castillo, Cotto had success was because they had fought elite fighters at some point in their carreer that prepared them as best as you can for Floyd. Canelo has not fought one elite fighter and his lack of experience will show tomorrow night.

Comment

Originally posted by way2strong View Post
          this has got to be the biggest hype job ever Canelo has one of the crappiest resume's ever in the sport and hes about to be part of a historical money making event ..... ill be rooting for him ... but fuk crazy stuff
          The resume is one thing the fight is another , if you got any idea of boxing you can see Canelo can fight , this is like 19 yr old Azumah Nelson fighting the great Salvador Sanchez , go have a look at Nelsons resume going into that fight , he gave Sanchez a life and death battle !

Point is good fighters come through the ranks and then take another step into the elite class , that's where Canelo is taking that step .

Its not always about the resume names , especially today , its can he fight tonight , and Alvarez can .

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
            The resume is one thing the fight is another , if you got any idea of boxing you can see Canelo can fight , this is like 19 yr old Azumah Nelson fighting the great Salvador Sanchez , go have a look at Nelsons resume going into that fight , he gave Sanchez a life and death battle !

Point is good fighters come through the ranks and then take another step into the elite class , that's where Canelo is taking that step .

Its not always about the resume names , especially today , its can he fight tonight , and Alvarez can .
            Good Point but Azumah Nelson wasn't fighting fighters one and two weight classes below his weight class either. There are doubts he can fight when you beat the level of competition he has.

Comment

Canelo will rise!!

For everyone talking s@@@t about canelo just remember he beat trout! Yea it was a close fight but he did win that fight and knocked trout down for the first time in he's career! Trout beat cotto the same year that cotto gave a good fight against Mayweather ! So that has to mean something ! Canelo stepped up and fought the winner of the cotto n trout fight! Canelo will make Mayweather work hard for those 40million plus check he will receive !! War canelo!!!

Comment

I enjoyed the information and comparison. I am happy the writer did not belittle Alvarez, its not his job. Golden boy hyped him if people feel so not the writer.......as a matter of interest I would like to see a similar comparison bewtween Floyd and Manny as most poeple think they are the best of the generation. Personally I beleive that Manny has been build along the similar way as Canelo. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by zamuxolomaneli View Post
                  I enjoyed the information and comparison. I am happy the writer did not belittle Alvarez, its not his job. Golden boy hyped him if people feel so not the writer.......as a matter of interest I would like to see a similar comparison bewtween Floyd and Manny as most poeple think they are the best of the generation. Personally I beleive that Manny has been build along the similar way as Canelo. Thanks
                  Manny wasn't built at all like Canelo but if he ever fights May, they'll break down like this. Always do a little extra for the BIG ones.

Thanks for the kind words.

Comment

I almost fall into the trap of picking against Floyd again. I won't do it. I'm not picking against unless he fights one guy.

Comment

Working...
                    X