No announcement yet.

UFC Record switching

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoeKickAss View Post
    Machida was touted at 13-0 when he fought Rashad.
    okay even if he was, Machida's record is much more accurate then the 18 wins posted by Rashad.

one can at least track Lyoto's career and see how he got all the wins he did ... a couple K-1 HEROS wins (3), a couple Jungle Fights (2) plus the 7 wins in UFC

where how Rashad got to 18 wins, doesn't make sense .. as even if you add in the 3 Ultimate Fighter wins (which are exhibition bouts) that would be 16 wins

Originally posted by American_Ninja View Post
    If Im not mistaken, all the guys on TUF 10, this is their 1st time in the UFC.
    But they have fought in other organizations.
    TUF fights count as exhibitions.
    not true, Wes Sims has had a couple UFC fights. as for the other 2 I am aware of both.

it still doesn't explain why the UFC gives McSweeney credit for those 9 "extra" wins. (compared to his other listed records NOT on ufc.com where he only has 3 wins)

Comment

Its because MMA isn't as organized as boxing is. I train at an MMA gym, and most of the guys I know who fight, their records aren't listed correctly on sherdog and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by American_Ninja View Post
        Yea he must have some unsanctioned or unverified fights.
        The UFC has him at 18-1-1 http://www.ufc.com/RashadEvans

If you look at Brock Lesnars record, his first fight is listed as unverified.
        The UFC doesn't even list his pro debut,
        just his 4-1 record

Honestly I don't know where the UFC gets their info from.
        Brock's pro debut was for another organization (you probably know this already)

similarly Liddell's PRIDE loss to Rampage isn't listed on UFC.com either. nor ar Couture's losses outside the UFC.

I dunno where the UFC gets their info from either .. but on the show after seeing McSweeney's record as 3-3 ... then 12-4 on UFC.com

im under the impression the win adding is done for no other reason then to inflate the fighter, and make him appear much better.

as 3-3 or 3-4 doesn't appear as menacing as 12-4.

Comment

Originally posted by neils7147933 View Post
          On The Ultimate Fighter show, McSweeney's record showed as 3-3 (sherdog has him at 3-4)

I think if a lot of these guys are fighting on local shows etc., it comes down to who's reporting the record deciding if the fight was sanctioned legitimately.

I know a guy that fights around here who does LFC shows and those events show up on sherdog, but he might fight 2 or 3 other fights in the meantime that aren't considered "official", but he can tell you his record, provide the opponent name and venue.

I think as more states recognize MMA and sanction the bouts, the less exhibitions/unsanctioned fights will happen and then it will be easier to keep track of
          whats the difference between an "exhibition" and a sanctioned fight?

Comment

Originally posted by snakey112 View Post
            whats the difference between an "exhibition" and a sanctioned fight?
            No athletic commission approving the bout, no blood or drug tests, maybe no official weigh-in

Like this past weekend my hometown had an event they called Cage Rage held outside a local restaurant where legitimate fighters who train in gyms, some with pro records, got together at a self-promoted event by the headliner with some of the proceeds going to charity.

Admission was charged, fighters were paid, but it still didn't go through all the 'proper channels'

Remember when Tommy Morrison didn't pass his blood test so he went to an Indian reservation and fought under 'MMA rules' where they didn't have to comply with the state who had turned down his application to fight?

I don't think Tim Sylvia vs. Ray Mercer was an 'official' fight either

Comment

^ exhibition is an offical bout that doesn't count for your record.

think of the equivolent as pre season for the NFL, NBA etc.

and well unsanctioned ... another way to put it could be either the fight doesn't use all the neccessary in ring rules, or have the adoquete judging, weigh ins, medical tests and what not.

example a sanctioned fight: the UFC. it clearly has rules a scoring system, a referee and judging. Both fighters have to weigh in, and pass medical exams in order to be cleared to fight.

unsanctioned could take place in a backyard, or parking lot. and is not overseen by an athletic commision .. which is probably the biggest diffrence in sanctioning vs non sanctioning as for judges and pre fight medical exams who knows. Most likely 2 people will show up and fight. the "referee" assigned will see the action until one guy cannot fight anymore.

**damn Neils beat me to it, o well .. I think he gets the jist.
              Last edited by MJ406; 10-02-2009, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ406 View Post
                ^ exhibition is an offical bout that doesn't count for your record.

think of the equivolent as pre season for the NFL, NBA etc.

and well unsanctioned ... another way to put it could be either the fight doesn't use all the neccessary in ring rules, or have the adoquete judging, weigh ins, medical tests and what not.

example a sanctioned fight: the UFC. it clearly has rules a scoring system, a referee and judging. Both fighters have to weigh in, and pass medical exams in order to be cleared to fight.

unsanctioned could take place in a backyard, or parking lot. and is not overseen by an athletic commision .. which is probably the biggest diffrence in sanctioning vs non sanctioning as for judges and pre fight medical exams who knows. Most likely 2 people will show up and fight. the "referee" assigned will see the action until one guy cannot fight anymore.

**damn Neils beat me to it, o well .. I think he gets the jist.
                ok so basically an exhibition = legal, unsanctioned = illegal

Comment

well that's one way to look at it, more or less.

as an exhibition is the same thing as a game .. just your win-loss doesn't go on record

**perfect example Kimbo Slice's first fight, was an exhibition vs Ray Mercer .. he won by choke out, but if you've noticed on Slice's record it is listed as 3-1 oppose to 4-1

where unsanctioned I think you could make a case that it is illigal ... or very close to

point to what I bolded and Neils says that an athletic commision didn't approve of the fight.

Comment

How come it is always the nerds, geeks and chubby lads at school that are into MMA whereas the boxers tend to be the hard men around the 'hood? It is the same when I watch MMA, you get the bums like Anderson Silva who were not good enough or hard enough for the bigtime of boxing. Martial arts are less skilled and athletic. Silva is their p4p4p king but he hgas been KO'd by a brazilian clubfighter in 2 minutes. EVen worse a brazilian clubfighter, who would probably last 30 seconds with an American or European champion. A boxer of world class ability would KO most of MMA's best.

Comment

how come its usually the people who are white with more tattoos who follow MMA/UFC

seriously who cares about what type of fan follows which sport. and why do people always compare the 2 sports?

ie one being more athletic, stronger, more powerful

a boxer should be better at boxing, where MMA fighters are trained in several disciplines

Comment

Working...
                      X