No announcement yet.

So, I was making NFL power rankings..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
    Hard to do just numbers for boxing, because there aren't many stats involved. I saw +/- get mentioned, but that's about it and that doesn't take into account who the opponent was.
    I know. That's why it sparked my interest, lol.

Comment

could you perhaps go backward?

go from the top 10 or 5 p4p, figure out what they've got in common, and establish your criteria through that.

you could also go through history, find top historic guys, and do the same.

Comment

That's a good idea, NE. Would be a good measuring stick for finding undervalued fighters.

Comment

You could simply do an efficiency type system where you start every active boxer with a .500 rating and go from there. Use the +/- for effectiveness, level of opposition, outcome of the fight(+/- points if the panel decides a win or lose was undeserved for either fighter) etc etc.

For example if a fight was judged correctly in our view we give the winner a +10 and then compute the rest of the numbers to get his final tally. Same goes for the list of the fight except he gets a -10 then the numbers can go either up or down depending on his overall performance.

JMM vs Manny IV:
          JMM- +10 for the win, +2 for rounds won, +3 for the ko, +5 for level of opposition(+5 being the highest) but -1 for being knocked down. He would then be +19 above .500.

sounds nerdy but I'd be interested in this lol

Comment

Originally posted by hhs661 View Post
            You could simply do an efficiency type system where you start every active boxer with a .500 rating and go from there. Use the +/- for effectiveness, level of opposition, outcome of the fight(+/- points if the panel decides a win or lose was undeserved for either fighter) etc etc.

For example if a fight was judged correctly in our view we give the winner a +10 and then compute the rest of the numbers to get his final tally. Same goes for the list of the fight except he gets a -10 then the numbers can go either up or down depending on his overall performance.

JMM vs Manny IV:
            JMM- +10 for the win, +2 for rounds won, +3 for the ko, +5 for level of opposition(+5 being the highest) but -1 for being knocked down. He would then be +19 above .500.

sounds nerdy but I'd be interested in this lol
            This is interesting. And it's pretty close to the direction I was looking to head in. I feel like we should be factoring in accuracy. That's a whole new ball of issues, though. Value per punch, and compubox being horrible. Would require endless hours of watching tape.

Comment

Originally posted by johnm is... View Post
              This is interesting. And it's pretty close to the direction I was looking to head in. I feel like we should be factoring in accuracy. That's a whole new ball of issues, though. Value per punch, and compubox being horrible. Would require endless hours of watching tape.
              definitely gotta factor that in. I'd say for a particular fight have one guy view fighter A and the other fighter b. Obviously we'd have to hope it turns out better than compubox but I don't see why it wouldn't. It's gonna be difficult as hell but interesting nonetheless

Comment

Working...
              X