No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Donaire Looks To Repeat, In Fashion, With Darchinyan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Donaire Looks To Repeat, In Fashion, With Darchinyan

By Jake Donovan - Through a loss, Nonito Donaire’s career has come full circle.

The former three-division champion entered 2013 on the heels of his Fighter of the Year campaign, but barely had time to accept his award before suffering his first loss since 2001, in his second pro fight.

The points loss to Guillermo Rigondeaux affected Donaire’s previous ranking atop the 122 lb. division, but didn’t even slightly alter his good standing with cable giant HBO. His return was in the works long before the network even considered bringing Rigondeaux back on their airwaves.

Donaire can certainly relate to what his conqueror is going through, having experienced the same thing himself some six years ago. Ironically enough, Donaire’s long-ago plight came after the biggest win of his career at the time, which happened to come against the fighter he faces this weekend.

A sensational one-punch knockout of then-unbeaten flyweight champ Darchinyan served as a huge breakout moment in Donaire’s career. The Fil-Am boxer was on the rise at the time, but exploded on the boxing scene after scoring what was at the time considered a major upset. [Click Here To Read More]

Darchinyan will be more competitive in this fight,but loses a unanimous desicion by scores of 116-112 across the board.

Comment

Beat the haters!! CHAMP

Comment

It's a tune-up for Donaire, and a chance at redemption for Darchinyan, albeit six years later. Given Darchinyan's age and limited success of late, he will probably come up short.
        However, Vic has changed his strategy a bit; boxing and counter-punching better, instead of just loading up with the big left. This may mean we'll see a more competitive fight than the first between these two.

Comment

I'll be down in Corpus but I'll definitely skip this fight. Hope the main event is worth the trip

Comment

Darchinyan has a real shot in this one but Donaire will pull it off. I'm hoping a KO so we can see Darchinyan down on the canvas.

Comment

In case anybody is interested-and off the subject- I just came across a very interesting analysis of both Max Schmeling and Jack Sharkey by two opposing analysts Jimmy De Forrest and James P. Dawson both extremely well known.

It is contained in a pulp magazine called Fight Stories and the article is called "The Black Uhlan, Champ or Palooka". On the internet it can be read in 2 column magazine style as a {PDF}.

The huge bonus is that it's only a tiny part of the magazine contents which are all fight stories. I hope it proves enjoyable. I'm presently just beginning the first story after the Schmeling-Sharkey item.

Comment

Originally posted by APPONO ASTOS
                i just hope donaire fights someone decent/good at 126 after he beats darchinyan again.
                Salido looks like he's next.

Comment

Donaire dispatches his blows from half the world away. They're ferocious beasts, and the Armenian is slippery.

Nonito BY KO

- Nostradamus

Comment

Originally posted by Nostradamus View Post
                    Donaire dispatches his blows from half the world away. They're ferocious beasts, and the Armenian is slippery.

Nonito BY KO

- Nostradamus
                    Haha, nice little rhyme you got there.

Comment

Working...
                    X