Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious situation - need advice.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing topic is one option. delaying admission is another.

Comment

Originally posted by fight_professor View Post
      Sup guys,

In March I dropped out of my PhD program and thought "**** this", but then I felt lost so applied for a new program at a new school. I got in and am scheduled to start in 02/13.

Problem is I am not wholly committed to the thing. I just saw a 'time table' detailing my commitments to 2017 (earliest). Plus its expensive, and I find my field of research (proposed, US-Pak ties) pretty boring. Maybe cool for a MA thesis, but not 100,000 word PhD stuff.

My only problem is that I have no alternatives. There are no jobs out there for me - at all. I am bored as hell and see university as 'something to do' but cant be 100% committed to it. Dont want to drop out again - waste of time and money.

Advice?
      The dilemma of needing a 'degree'. Stop, just stop with this 'I need college education to get a good job'. It seems your heart is not in college education anymore, so why are putting yourself through this nightmare? Why do people thinking having a degree is so great and will guaranteeing you a good job and success? I'm sorry if I'm bursting your bubble (I do not intend to), but because you have a degree does not necessarily give you better job prospects and create a better desired path for you.

We lack jobs today because the lack of entrepreneurs. We are told by the government that we need to go to school to get success. This is far from the truth and a myth. The most successful people in the world have no academic qualificatios and took no interest in getting degrees. People are claimed to be 'thick' because they no college education. I'm one of them. I'm not an academic kind of person, I hate learning about things I have no interest about. I don't care for History, or learning German, or Geography, and the other countless subjects that I learned nothing in. I simply didn't care for it..

So what am I getting at?

I'm here to tell you to... Start your own business. Read some books and get educated in these areas. I know your say 'But this is risky', I'll say 'Getting in 20,000 more of college debt is more risky, with no guaranteeing of a job after graduating'. Every year we rely on big corporations on creating more jobs, when each every one of us here can be job creators. The lack of jobs is due to the lack of entrepreneurs in the world today. The vast majority are told to go to university and everything will be better after they get a 'degree'. I believe the alternative way and that is creating your own way.

If your under pressure to go back to university or don't already have a degree, then do not panic. Is another three years at university really necessary for you lead to a fulfilling, independent life? the simple answer is No.

Do not moulder away in some soul destroying job. Do it your way.

“Formal education will make you a living. Self education will make you a fortune."

Comment

^ so what business do you run and how much do you net?

Comment

Originally posted by Uturn View Post
          The dilemma of needing a 'degree'. Stop, just stop with this 'I need college education to get a good job'. It seems your heart is not in college education anymore, so why are putting yourself through this nightmare? Why do people thinking having a degree is so great and will guaranteeing you a good job and success? I'm sorry if I'm bursting your bubble (I do not intend to), but because you have a degree does not necessarily give you better job prospects and create a better desired path for you.

We lack jobs today because the lack of entrepreneurs. We are told by the government that we need to go to school to get success. This is far from the truth and a myth. The most successful people in the world have no academic qualificatios and took no interest in getting degrees. People are claimed to be 'thick' because they no college education. I'm one of them. I'm not an academic kind of person, I hate learning about things I have no interest about. I don't care for History, or learning German, or Geography, and the other countless subjects that I learned nothing in. I simply didn't care for it..

So what am I getting at?

I'm here to tell you to... Start your own business. Read some books and get educated in these areas. I know your say 'But this is risky', I'll say 'Getting in 20,000 more of college debt is more risky, with no guaranteeing of a job after graduating'. Every year we rely on big corporations on creating more jobs, when each every one of us here can be job creators. The lack of jobs is due to the lack of entrepreneurs in the world today. The vast majority are told to go to university and everything will be better after they get a 'degree'. I believe the alternative way and that is creating your own way.

If your under pressure to go back to university or don't already have a degree, then do not panic. Is another three years at university really necessary for you lead to a fulfilling, independent life? the simple answer is No.

Do not moulder away in some soul destroying job. Do it your way.

“Formal education will make you a living. Self education will make you a fortune."
          Bro, you misunderstand. I have 2 degrees already, this is about getting my doctorate. I sometimes think I'd love to work in a think tank or policy research - it is just a huge effort and hard to sustain interest for 5-7 years.

Also, I have no business skills fam.

Comment

You dont want to write a ph.d. On a subject for which you do not burn. If that's the only subject available, then say no and wait untill something better comes up. Untill then maybe you can get a job as a research assistent keeping you in the academic loop.

Comment

Originally posted by fight_professor View Post
              Bro, you misunderstand. I have 2 degrees already, this is about getting my doctorate. I sometimes think I'd love to work in a think tank or policy research - it is just a huge effort and hard to sustain interest for 5-7 years.

Also, I have no business skills fam.
              My apologies. The way you worded your opening post, seemed to me you were fed up of schooling.. My mistake for misunderstanding you. I was only trying to inspire you. I was in your position a while ago and felt helpless. I went through the motions in College but never had a clear vision to what I really wanted to do.

But if you have already 2 degrees, why do you need more? Is it really necessary? Be careful with how much debt you get yourself into too. Choose wisely, and carefully.

Do what you love to do. That's the most important thing.

Comment

I can endeavour to stick with it to enable the careers I desire, FCO or think tank stuff.

Comment

Major crisis. I just cant decide what to do. I have the 09/13 place and have applied to another school for an MPhil. But part of me cant be bothered, just wants to chill for a few years and then see whats up.

I need proper advice.

Comment

Hey bro.

Got a PHD.

In a PHD. With a PHD for it's PHD.

My PHD isn't PHbalanced.

Can you help my PHD from swinging it's own giant PHD brain-**** on a boxing forum?

Thaaaaax....

Comment

If you "can't be bothered" then don't waste everyone's time.

Take a year out, work an easy job, have some fun, think about what you want.

Simple.

Comment

Working...
                      X