No announcement yet.

Ros stripped of title , Murray could take belt

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ros stripped of title , Murray could take belt

Brandon Rios lost his WBA lightweight title on the scales when he failed to make the weight for what was supposed to be a routine defence tonight against Manchester's John Murray in New York.
    He came in at 135.6lbs at the second attempt to make the 135lb limit. Murray weighed in at 9st 8lbs 12oz.
    If Murray wins - and his long odds on doing so will have tumbled given Rios' difficulties - he will take the now vacant title.
    He's already an extra $20,000 up as Rios' oversight means the 25-year-old American has had to pay a forfeit.

Might give Murray a bit of a chance in this fight now. I'd have backed Rios to win this one, but now he doesn't have a belt to defend, he might be a bit demotivated. Who knows, I'm just speculating!

This is probably a sign that Rios is gonna move up in the near future anyway.

Comment

I'll be honest, Joe Gallagher made an awful call in sending Murray out for rounds 10 and 11. Shame Murray is so tough as that sort of a beating will take something out of you when you return, as will the loss to Mitchell. We may never see Murray looking the same after those two wars.

Comment

Working...
      X