No announcement yet.

Guillermo Rigondeaux; FACTS!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BennyST View Post
    ...He's shown the ability to beat the guys he needs to and get past those first tests as a pro, but he's still got a long way to go before reaching those others I mentioned. He needs to beat a proper, top rated world champ or serious former world champ that has all the tricks. Poon would have been great as a starter. He needs that a lot morethough. Especially now...
    Stop, you're making me sick...especially since Poonsawat was my desired next fight for Rigo. Then it all fell through....

Comment

• Originally posted by BennyST View Post
      Dont get me wrong though mate. I wasn't having a dig at you or Rigo. I love his fighting and he's one of my favourite guys at the moment. Some people are ignoring what he's doing, which is very good, while others can get a little overexcited by it too. He absolutely needs to be taking more of these fights that he has been taking, though stepping it up a little more. He needs to be active with guys no worse than Cordoba. There are enough out there, plenty in fact, that would jump at the chance and he needs to be way, way more active with those guys while waiting on the big fights.

He's shown the ability to beat the guys he needs to and get past those first tests as a pro, but he's still got a long way to go before reaching those others I mentioned. He needs to beat a proper, top rated world champ or serious former world champ that has all the tricks. Poon would have been great as a starter. He needs that a lot morethough. Especially now.

The big problem I see at the moment is his activity. He's a fresh pro, fighting on the timetable of a long term, seasoned veteran. Fighting once or twice, three max, a year is really going to hurt him bad. I think it will be that more than anything that will lead to his first loss. He needs all those little experiences that you simply cannot get, no matter how many fights you have, as an amateur. If you get hurt early, you don't have to get through one, or two rounds, max. You have to get through another ten!

If you hurt the other guy, but can't get him out of there, you need to be able to reset and think about going the full 12 rounds without gassing out, despite trying to get your guy out of there. Think Angulo recently.

The way he's going though, with only one or two fights, he's simply not going to get the pro experience necessary and when a bad moment comes, he's not going to have the mental and physical experience to help him out. Ward fought often early, and one of his greatest learning points was when he nearly got KTFO. Dropped hard, hurt badly, but he got his head together, focused, got through the round and it's never happened again. If it did, he knows he can get through it. He needs to get more styles under his belt too. He needs to fight a few more rough, pressure fighters that will try to push past his defense, get him tired etc etc. His management are not moving him well at all and he's going to pay when, or if, he steps up with a big leap into a style he still hasn't fought as a pro yet.

I would love to see him take on some other guys before Donaire/Mares etc to be honest. Personally, I dont think it would end well for Rigo, at this point. His biggest test, Cordoba, he passed. Just. He got a D. He needs more of those tests and he needs to be passing them with A's and B's.

He started in 2009, and he's only had 11 ****ing fights! What the hell are his management thinking? For a pro, whatever his experience in the amateurs, having only 11 fights over four years is the best way to lead him to disaster.

The biggest thing he needs, more than anything, is simply the feeling of getting into the ring and getting the experience going 12 rounds. His body and mind is absolutely hardwired to 3 round fights. Without lots of activity early, right now, as a pro going 6, 7, to 11, 12 rounds, they are inviting disaster in a big way. I simply cannot believe that they have only had him in four fights since 2010. It's goddamn 2013 and a brand new pro with 400 amateur fights needs some seriously quick grooming into the 12 rounder if he's already a champion!!! If they're not more careful, that will be the big thing that backfires on them.

I know that's one of the reasons they pushed Tszyu into 12 rounders quickly. They wanted to get his mental and physical amateur hardwiring out of him asap because he had so much amateur experience and had fought/beat so many great future champs already. So they threw him in with lots of experienced former champs and top contenders that would give him some hard times. It worked though. His first few fights were all 8 and 10 round fights. Never had anything less than an 8 rounder.

Rigo should have been fighting every two months minimum. Having only four fights since 2010 is just ****ing stupid. It's already been nearly 5 months since he last fought. Five months between fights and he's only had 11 fights as a pro. It's probably going to be another three minimum at the moment and he'll end up fighting only twice in 2013. Crazy.

I wholeheartedly agree he needs to be more active.
      Even with a few opponents having to pull out, he really should be more active.
      2012 wasn't bad though the opposition for most part could of been a little better, the Poonsawatt fight would of been the icing on the cake. I am really hoping he is out at a very minimum of 3 times this year & against decent opposition.

I'd rather see him remain active even if he takes a stay busy fight (as long they're durable and will attempt to make a go of it so he can get rounds in at least) than him only fight an average of say two fights per year with one being a guy like Teon Kennedy who was thoroughly outclassed. I don't think he did much wrong but he could of at least let it all hang out, instead it was just target practice for Rigondeaux.

I do think inactivity will kill a guy like Rigondeaux though who almost relies on having cat like reflexes. I feel the more active he is, the better pro he can be.

Comment

• Rigondeaux has signed. Its over for you guys, over!

Props to Donaire for taking this fight but the hype is coming to an end.

Comment

• Rigondeaux: a great amateur fighter and will remain only a great amateur fighter after Donaire is done with him

Comment

• You cannot deny his beautiful boxing skills. I do love watching him .

It's a fight i'm looking forward too. Lets get it on!

Comment

• Donair has serious power but Rigondeaux is elusive.I can see Rigondeaux causing Donair all sorts of problems but have ???? about him being fully adjusted for 12 round fighting. This is a great fight and props to both guys for taking it.

Comment

• Can't wait for this fight.

Comment

• War Donaire.

Comment

• It's over Rigontards. It's all over.

Put some Ortiz facelube on your face to heal the wounds when it's over.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      Can't wait for this fight.
                      It's going to be fucking great.

Comment

Working...
                      X