Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazing footwork

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am impressed with willie peps footwork he seemed to not have to move as much as ali to make his opponents miss.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiozzo View Post
      Pastrano's footwork was good enough to keep himself out of harm's way for 15 rounds against a man many believe to be an underated ATG

constantly on the move, on his toes, using nice side to side movements, popping the jab effectively occasionaly, turning, feinting to come in, escaping from the ropes of out of a corner

though I know he lost the fight and that he didn't want to engage Johnson, he was doing some nice defensive moves in there thanks to his solid footwork

I know footwork is supposed to set up the offense and that it is not the case with Pastrano here, but it is still interesting to watch him escape Johnson's offense

when we're talking about footwork in here, the same names always come up, I was trying to find something different, yet relevant

but of course I'm an ignorant next to the boxing history legends and (self-proclaimed) authorities
      He didn't stay out of harms way in the 13th when he rocked him.

He was forced onto the ropes quite often despite running every single round throwing almost nothing in any of them.

"Constantly on the move" is a good way to put it, and a literal way to put it. Having an "effective jab" is a terrible way to put it, as his jab was not effective at all despite it being pretty much the only punch he threw for most of the fight.

He did manage to evade Johnson's offence at times, by running. But he also got hit, alot. From range, up close, against the ropes, to the body and head.

Comment

I heard good things about Pep but never seen any of his fights...LOL! I'd have to go with Ali or Leonard. Holmes had some good footwork, as well...

Comment

Willie Pep was the master and if any of you had Sandy Sadler chasing you your foot work would improve too!!!!
          Sugarman had great feet also!
          Benny Leonard was a terrific mover!
          Billy Conn was a Master Boxer with nice movement. Many more....

Movement has a few tasks in the sport of boxing:
          first to set up punches
          second to stay out of harms way (by the smallest margins)
          third to use as an escape (if you can)
          fourth to steal rounds effectively (first 35 seconds on/ last 35 on too, just be carefull in the middle) ala Ali.
          fifth the women love it!!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            Pep or Ali, who had the better footwork?

jeez, how long did it take ali to throw a punch? and his dancing there was no better than how i dance down town. (i'm ****).
            he was more than capable but the first minutes of that video are iffy to say the least

Comment

and i have to say that rigondeaux or moreno or someone like that RIGHT NOW are far better than pep in that video.

Comment

Working...
              X