No announcement yet.

Was Ray Mancini an ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Ray Mancini an ATG?

I watched some clips of him in his younger years and he did seem like a tremendous young fighter with a great personality. However, the only fight I own of him is when he came back extremely rusty against Greg Haugen in '92 I think. Does he deserve ATG status?

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
    I watched some clips of him in his younger years and he did seem like a tremendous young fighter with a great personality. However, the only fight I own of him is when he came back extremely rusty against Greg Haugen in '92 I think. Does he deserve ATG status?
    No :forgetaboutit9:

Comment

Hell no. He was a pretty good fighter who CBS got behind and promoted his story hard. ATG? Not even close.

Comment

I would say he's a HOF'er.

Comment

Mancini had a lot of heart and tried really hard, but he wasn't a great fighter, he wasn't even all that good. After he lost to Arguello, they got him a shot at Art Frias, who wasn't all that good, and was past his best any way. Once Mancini had the title he avoided every good fighter around, from Robin Blake to Edwin Rosario to Andy Ganigan. And he had to fight wars to beat his handpicked opposition.
          This is all looking back. At the time, my late teen years, I thought he was good.

Comment

A good fighter...very entertaining. Gave Arguello a great fight. But, he was limited and a little bit protected.

One thing he desrves credit for- he totally dominated Jose Luis Ramirez. Ramirez gave Arguello hell and proved to be Rosario's boss. A pretty damn good win for Boom Boom that gets overlooked.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
              A good fighter...very entertaining. Gave Arguello a great fight. But, he was limited and a little bit protected.

One thing he desrves credit for- he totally dominated Jose Luis Ramirez. Ramirez gave Arguello hell and proved to be Rosario's boss. A pretty damn good win for Boom Boom that gets overlooked.
              Ramirez is a tremendously underrated fighter in today's age.

Comment

Ah, Ray Mancini, another career set I have yet to watch. He was a disputed lightweight champion right? Only won one of the alphabet belts? I liked him. So he was considered pretty good, but not great then? Okay, I can live with that. I always liked him. I know he was on that Ringside show a lot on ESPN Classics too.

Comment

simply....heeeeeeeeeellll no

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    Ramirez is a tremendously underrated fighter in today's age.
                    your right forgot all about that fight

Comment

Working...
                    X