No announcement yet.

Keep "Lights Out" on the air

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by check hook View Post
    it was ok, but i don't see it going anywhere. Also if you're going to do a show about boxing why an Irish American?? It's barely relevant anymore.....the Irish, Jews and Italians don't even send a tenth of the contenders to the ring that they did in the past.

A show about boxing......who is the target demographic??....it should be hispanics. I would have liked to have seen one with a American latino (mexican) fighter as the lead character. There's plenty of ways to go about a series relating to boxing, down from the setting to the actual age of the fighter.

I was thinking the same thing when I first saw it. A white American guy in the heavyweight division, a former champ? Those guys are basically extinct, even in the lower weight classes. Hell if it was a series about a Middleweight white U.S. guy, we could make comparisons to Pavlik. But heavyweight?

It should've been a hispanic if it was a series about lighter weight boxer, and it should've been a African-American, if it was still about Heavyweight. A black guy in Ghetto American, coming up. Eastern-European would've been the real deal, but Americans being the target audience, that wouldn't play well.

Comment

it was ok, but i don't see it going anywhere. Also if you're going to do a show about boxing why an Irish American?? It's barely relevant anymore.....the Irish, Jews and Italians don't even send a tenth of the contenders to the ring that they did in the past.

A show about boxing......who is the target demographic??....it should be hispanics. I would have liked to have seen one with a American latino (mexican) fighter as the lead character. There's plenty of ways to go about a series relating to boxing, down from the setting to the actual age of the fighter.
      You don't know what you're talking about. FXs audience is young white and male. And in anycase, the show is not about boxing per se at all. Its about a boxer and his family.

And whether the show is good or not, as nothing to do with the racial component of the main character. If thats how you're judging the show, well that is just supremely dumb. You should judge it by the quality of story-telling, and its a very solid subtle drama. Old fashioned, but also excellent and character driven. But I wouldn't expect most of the jackasses that populate this board to understand this.

Comment

What gets me is that they only had this on for one season and shows like Louie, which have been on for going on 3 seasons, are far more subversive. I know a lot more people talking about Lights Out than Louie, yet Louie is going into its 3rd season. I like Louie too, don't get me wrong but I don't hear too many people talking about that one as compared to Lights Out.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
          What gets me is that they only had this on for one season and shows like Louie, which have been on for going on 3 seasons, are far more subversive. I know a lot more people talking about Lights Out than Louie, yet Louie is going into its 3rd season. I like Louie too, don't get me wrong but I don't hear too many people talking about that one as compared to Lights Out.
          Thats exactly the problem. Shows need to be edgy and subversive to gain traction. They need a gimmick that can make the show marketable.

Lights Out is the exact opposite. Its an old fashioned drama about inter family dynamics. And its very subtle. Its a show for people with good tastes.

McCallany, the actor whom portrays Light, did an amazing job. So vulnerable and charismatic. The scene of him crying in confession was powerful, and when he asks, " Who won?" God that was heart breaking. Hit me like a sledge hammer.

And I guarantee its just your friends. Its purely anecdotal. Trust me when I say the ratings for Lights Out were EXTREMELY low. Louie on the other hand has decent ratings.
          Last edited by SpitBalla; 04-07-2011, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Quotes for truth. White and now Black Americas are pretty much done with boxing. Even a show about a Black boxer would be out of date. Latinos are the ones that keep boxing afloat in America, who was Lights Out's target? 60-70 year olds?

Comment

How about a show about the real kings of boxing,

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
                Quotes for truth. White and now Black Americas are pretty much done with boxing. Even a show about a Black boxer would be out of date. Latinos are the ones that keep boxing afloat in America, who was Lights Out's target? 60-70 year olds?
                true the only thing that is a catch on what you say is that show, and even though not on cable, just showtime, so it was limited audience, but Resurrection Blvd. didnt do too well, I know it didn't last more than a few seasons at best, obviously more so than Lights Out.

I think the show is good, but I can see how it really doesn't resonate with a large populace of people because it's not something people can relate to anymore.

I think that for a good boxing show to be successful is to have a series of live fights, with a 24/7 type coverage, in a tournament style layout, AND DON'T SELL IT LIKE THE CONTENDER, with all this crying, feeling whore type drama, but something more along the lines of the ultimate fighter, not guys locked into a house, but a set up with a camp, training, fight negotiations, making weight....... etc.

in real life, the life of a boxer is not as exciting as people would think, and thats hard to get across to people, boxing is more about hard work than it is about flashy lifestyle and having fun, the fun is the reward for the hard work.

if they made something real it would work, since they haven't, nothing has worked and we're left with a void until a good fight comes on.......... then we're left until the next one.

bottom line we need more fights.......... monday night, wednesday night, friday and saturday night fights, fresh talent, and good exposure for boxing talent.....

Comment

I think it would have been better served to be on HBO or Showtime not because it would have been better show but there is an audience on both networks that cares about boxing on FX not so much.

It would be cool though to see one of them try a similar show but I would hope they would be a bit less dramatic, I liked Lights beating up people for money but to me you could make a show a lot better starting at the beginnings of a guys run or focusing on a gym/stable with multiple guys and story lines.

Comment

Working...
                  X