No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: New Nominees Are Worthy of Boxing Hall of Fame Calls

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: New Nominees Are Worthy of Boxing Hall of Fame Calls

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - All the signs of October are here.

My football team is teetering on the brink of irrelevance after five games played. My baseball team has made this year’s renewal of what’s become an annual postseason flameout. My hockey team has managed, over just 120 minutes on ice, to snuff out any lingering optimism from the preseason.

And, in the mail the other day, a big white envelope arrived from Canastota, N.Y.

In it were the stapled-together bios of this year’s crop of nominees for the International Boxing Hall of Fame, along with the form that will need to be sent indicating my picks for the Class of 2014.

It’s a task that’s among the very best parts of sitting at a keyboard and writing about boxing for a living. But, for those who’ve been reading this space since I got started several years ago, also know it tends to be one of the most conversation-inducing duties as well.

Last year, I was bombarded from all directions for pointing out that Arturo Gatti’s candidacy was far more a product of popularity than greatness, and for writing that the former action hero’s acumen was more indicative of a 50-lap feature at the local fairgrounds than of the Indianapolis 500. [Click Here To Read More]

I had seen on a previous list of holdover candidates Masao Obha and do not see it on this list I do not believe he is in the hall and it would be a travisty if he were to be overlooked yet again I do agree that there are a lot of deserving fighters and the three new names are deserving but I do not see a name on the list more deserving than Masao please please consider the eternal champion for induction 40 years after his untimely death

Comment

lol Lyle, still with the Gatti stuff. I think we need to accept the HOF is not exclusively about record for if it was, as you point out, a lot of the guys wouldn't be there. Popularity, contribution to the sport and indeed "fame" also clearly carry weight and personally I think it's right they're recognised, they've inspired people and enhanced the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by violaandme View Post
        I had seen on a previous list of holdover candidates Masao Obha and do not see it on this list I do not believe he is in the hall and it would be a travisty if he were to be overlooked yet again I do agree that there are a lot of deserving fighters and the three new names are deserving but I do not see a name on the list more deserving than Masao please please consider the eternal champion for induction 40 years after his untimely death
        Who?????????

Comment

Calzaghe, Oscar and Tito all deserve to be first ballot HOFers, I agree with the selections but how many "YES" votes are the judges allowed to cast?

If you can cast more, I'd vote YES for Prince Naseem, Don Curry and Dariusz Machiwakaka.

If you're only allowed 3 votes then picking the 3 that have been picked is cool, they're the obvious choice. In terms of who is in the HOF, it's ridiculous that Gatti got in ahead of Naz and where on God' green Earth are the nominations for Eubank and Benn?

In Eubank's case, he is the second best at smw I have ever seen.

Comment

some of those nominees...

Comment

Originally posted by kardsufur View Post
              Who?????????
              The Japanese Salvador Sanchez in the sense that he had early greatness and died too soon.

Should be in.

IS still on ballot.

Comment

Should be Oscar, Tito and Kingpetch.

Won't be, though.

Comment

@soul_survivor ... There are more guys on the ballot... but as I mentioned in the piece, I was only going to judge and vote on the guys I'm familiar with. Guys of my era. Doesn't make so much sense to go yes or no on people whom I've not only not seen... but barely heard of. People who are older, or simply better researchers, can determine the fates of those guys. You can vote for as many as 10.
                  Last edited by fitzbitz; 10-08-2013, 08:25 AM.

Comment

@The Weebler I ... It's the once a year I get to bang the Hall of Fame drum... so I bang it. As far as standards go, I think that's up to each voter. Mine are clear. Others can be clear as well. Majority rules and Gatti's in, so be it. But that doesn't mean I have to agree.

Comment

Working...
                    X