• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buster Douglas comeback fight against Louis Monaco

An in-shape Douglas gets clocked by 6-6-1 Monaco

buster douglas was always a bum.

Comment

Douglas had ballooned up to 400 lbs and nearly died, he made the comeback to get himself back in shape.

He lost to Lou Savarese soon after.

Roy Jones wanted to fight him at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultimateboxa View Post
        An in-shape Douglas gets clocked by 6-6-1 Monaco
        that should have been a No Contest or a DQ...The ref was already between them when the punch was thrown

Comment

Originally posted by The Underboss View Post
          buster douglas was always a bum.
          I don't know, he beat Berbick, McCall, and Tyson back to back to back. I've only seen him fight once, but the story is he was always a good fighter when he was in shape.

It's pretty bad how he won such a huge fight against Tyson, and **** on it by showing up fat against Holyfield.

Comment

Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
            I don't know, he beat Berbick, McCall, and Tyson back to back to back. I've only seen him fight once, but the story is he was always a good fighter when he was in shape.

It's pretty bad how he won such a huge fight against Tyson, and **** on it by showing up fat against Holyfield.
            Douglas had plenty of talent, he was just an underachiever. He was far from a bum though. On top of that, his win over Tyson will never be forgotten and always remebered amongst boxings biggest upsets.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              Douglas had plenty of talent, he was just an underachiever. He was far from a bum though. On top of that, his win over Tyson will never be forgotten and always remebered amongst boxings biggest upsets.
              I disagree with you there I think Douglas was an overachiever that had his short comings exposed by a great champ in Holyfield. Even if Douglas stayed around the top tier after the Holy loss do you really think he'd beat Lewis, Bowe, Moorer? I think he had one great moment, made millions off it and got out a bit late, but good luck to him that's the dream of all prizefighters to retire with a pocketful of cash.

Comment

The win over Tyson made him, later Evander had taken what was his.

Comment

Originally posted by lparm View Post
                  I disagree with you there I think Douglas was an overachiever that had his short comings exposed by a great champ in Holyfield. Even if Douglas stayed around the top tier after the Holy loss do you really think he'd beat Lewis, Bowe, Moorer? I think he had one great moment, made millions off it and got out a bit late, but good luck to him that's the dream of all prizefighters to retire with a pocketful of cash.
                  Douglas overacheived in one fight, and underachieved an entire career. You would be hard pressed to find someone who would say that Buster wasn't one of the most gifted big men of the 80's. Ramrod jab. Good speed. Good power, and he was big. But he was lazy, and wasn't as dedicated as an elite fighter needs to be. I have no doubt Douglas had the tools to compete with the fighters you named, he just didn't have the drive. That to me is a classic underachiever.

Comment

He didn't really care about winning he just wanted to get into shape.

You guys know Evander used to send a pizza to Douglas's house every night for a month before there fight and in the morning it would always be empty.

Comment

Working...
                    X