Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

James DeGale vs the best of the 90's brits and irish?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James DeGale vs the best of the 90's brits and irish?

James DeGale is on the up fighting arch rival Groves like benn fought eubank. Also has been given a title shot but has chosen groves match up. He looks like hes the real deal but how would he of done against the top of the 90's in britain and ireland?
    DeGale vs
    Nigel Benn
    Chris Euank
    Steve Collins
    Joe Calzaghe
    ?????????????

He hasn't proven to be on that level, and i don't think he will either.

Comment

I think he will get too that level one day as he is super talented but as of right now he has done nothing too show that he is there yet,so it would be unfair too judge him against the guys you mentioned

Comment

Originally posted by The_Demon View Post
        I think he will get too that level one day as he is super talented but as of right now he has done nothing too show that he is there yet,so it would be unfair too judge him against the guys you mentioned
        If you have seen any of these boxers at the same point in the career of degale e.g benn v watson?

Comment

Originally posted by Stallone60 View Post
          If you have seen any of these boxers at the same point in the career of degale e.g benn v watson?
          As of right now? Both those guys would have too much for Degale imo,who has only had 10 fights whereas watson and Benn had around 45 fights combined by the time they fought,thats a big difference

Comment

He loses to all of them at this point.

Just not experienced enough.

Comment

I like Chunky and i think he is a fighter who is going places but its way to early to say anything other than that with any real conviction. Tho if i took a 10-0 Benn vs a 10-0 DeGale? I take Benn by savage smashing!

Comment

He gets bombed out by Benn, outboxed by Eubank, outmuscled by Collins and outworked by Calz. Can't see him beating either fighter.

Comment

I fancy DeGale giving the Nigel Benn who lost to Michael Watson a hard time. Benn was far too reckless relying entirely on his punching power and even now (with his Watson-esque peek-a-boo guard) he'd cause Nigel all kinds of problems (providing he could deal with being hit very hard once or twice). Against the McClellan version I give him little chance at all.

A fight against Watson would probably go the distance. Michael didn't have an explosive punch and I doubt whether he could land sufficient combinations to really hurt DeGale. That said, in the battle of experience James would lose out big time. Watson knew the fight game inside out even early on in his career and DeGale would simply be out thought.

A fight against Eubank would be messy. Chris often looked awkward against counter punchers but could and probably would (pre-Watson) connect with something explosive. Eubank's power is often underrated. When his mind was solely on boxing he could be a devastating hitter.

Either version of Calzaghe (pre- and post-hand breaks) would be too much. Young Calzaghe would put him under more pressure than he's ever faced and probably inflict a KO. Older Calzaghe's punching angles would overwhelm DeGale entirely. Too hot.

Like Watson, Collins was vastly experienced. Not a puncher but a merciless pressure fighter who would walk through DeGale's best shots and unravel his confidence like wool from a ball. I mean, DeGale would put on a good show but it would probably turn out a bit like David Haye's overly ambitious attempt to bring down Carl Thompson.

Don't get me wrong, DeGale has talent. Oodles of it. But as has been stated - these are no tomato cans he's taking on. Right now the only question I have about DeGale is how good is his chin? I've no evidence to suggest it is weak but as his defence is so freakishly good (for a fighter his age) opponents have found it extraordinarily tough to make a clean connection. All of the above fighters had genuine fighting heart. All were put under enormous pressure at various points in their careers - often being close to defeat (think Calzaghe vs Byron Mitchell, Collins vs Eubank, Eubank vs Watson II and Benn vs McClellan - and somehow managed to claw their way back to victory. So far DeGale hasn't been similarly tested and it's only at such a point will we truly know whether he's the genuine article (as I suspect he is).

Comment

Way too early to tell.

DeGale is the real deal though for me and in 10-15 fights time he will right up there with the best in the world P4P. That's how talented I believe he is.

But, because he is relatively untested everyone is going to say Benn, Eubank etc will smash him at this stage of his career.

Comment

Working...
                    X