No announcement yet.

The Underrated Resume Of Fritzie Zivic

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Underrated Resume Of Fritzie Zivic

Fritzie Zivic is a fighter that I feel gets overlooked and his especailly his resume of wins. Zivic was a busy and talented man with his fists and a very popular fighter; But, he could also be extremely rough, an expert in guerilla warfare, and use his head, elbows, forearms, knees and thumbs (although he denied using his thumbs); According to the "Tough Man" - any part of his enemy was a "fair-game" target - yes, any part !!!

Ray Robinson said he learnt more of the Zivic fights more than any others.

Fritzie knew how to fight and was one of five fighting Zivic brothers - along with Joe, Eddie, Pete and Jack; During his career, he won he Welterweight Championship of the World. And had over 200 fights and fouth best of a rich filled era. Joined the United States Army April 14, 1944 at the New Cumberland, PA army reception center, after being inducted in Pittsburgh

Zivic's Resume Of Wins
    Henry Armstrong
    Charley Burley
    Jake Lamotta
    Sammy Angott
    Lew Jenkins
    Al "Bummy" Davis
    Johnny Jadick
    Jackie Burke
    Eddie Booker
    Harry Weekly
    Bobby Pacho
    Baby" Salvy Saban
    Kenny LaSalle
    Kid Azteca,
    Milt Aron,
    Saverio Turiello
    Johnny Barbara
    Laddie Tonielli
    Tony Falco
    Chuck Woods
    Harry Dublinsky
    "Baby" Sal Sorio
    Eddie Ran
    Pete "K.O." Castillo
    Maxie Berger
    Reuben Shank
    Carmen Notch
    Billy Arnold
    "Wild" Bill McDowell

This is one hell of a resume of wins. You have former champions, all time great fighters and brillant contenders aswell as some solid one's. In all, Zivic met seven future Hall of Famers and nine world champions.

Originally posted by .SOUTHPAW16BF. View Post
    Fritzie Zivic is a fighter that I feel gets overlooked and his especailly his resume of wins. Zivic was a busy and talented man with his fists and a very popular fighter; But, he could also be extremely rough, an expert in guerilla warfare, and use his head, elbows, forearms, knees and thumbs (although he denied using his thumbs); According to the "Tough Man" - any part of his enemy was a "fair-game" target - yes, any part !!!

Ray Robinson said he learnt more of the Zivic fights more than any others.

Fritzie knew how to fight and was one of five fighting Zivic brothers - along with Joe, Eddie, Pete and Jack; During his career, he won he Welterweight Championship of the World. And had over 200 fights and fouth best of a rich filled era. Joined the United States Army April 14, 1944 at the New Cumberland, PA army reception center, after being inducted in Pittsburgh

Zivic's Resume Of Wins
    Henry Armstrong
    Charley Burley
    Jake Lamotta
    Sammy Angott
    Lew Jenkins
    Al "Bummy" Davis
    Johnny Jadick
    Jackie Burke
    Eddie Booker
    Harry Weekly
    Bobby Pacho
    Baby" Salvy Saban
    Kenny LaSalle
    Kid Azteca,
    Milt Aron,
    Saverio Turiello
    Johnny Barbara
    Laddie Tonielli
    Tony Falco
    Chuck Woods
    Harry Dublinsky
    "Baby" Sal Sorio
    Eddie Ran
    Pete "K.O." Castillo
    Maxie Berger
    Reuben Shank
    Carmen Notch
    Billy Arnold
    "Wild" Bill McDowell

This is one hell of a resume of wins. You have former champions, all time great fighters and brillant contenders aswell as some solid one's. In all, Zivic met seven future Hall of Famers and nine world champions.

Zivic was as rough a fighter who ever put on gloves. He used laces, head, elbows, anything
    He fought anyone and pretty much everyone and I believe he had the most ever losses for a fighter who become a world champion.
    To his credit he fought many coloured fighters which was rare in the era he fought, though he did buy Charley Burley's contract to avoid having to fight him again!
    To be added to Southpaw's list are also a few fighters he fought but didn't manage to beat:
    Bob Montgomery
    Billy Conn
    Beau Jack
    Sugar Ray Robinson
    Red Cochrane
    Billy Conn
    Lou Ambers

Tough tough guy

Comment

Zivic is mostly remembered as one of the dirtiest fighters of all time. I would say due to this his name is more well-known than many of his contemporaries. His victories over Armstrong marked the slow decline of the latter's career.
      Last edited by Miburo; 07-16-2009, 06:53 PM.

Comment

He fought everybody.

Zivic gave Armstrong quite a beating. His story about the Armstrong fights:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...5345/index.htm

Armstrong later came back to beat Zivic in their third bout.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
          Zivic was as rough a fighter who ever put on gloves. He used laces, head, elbows, anything
          He fought anyone and pretty much everyone and I believe he had the most ever losses for a fighter who become a world champion.
          To his credit he fought many coloured fighters which was rare in the era he fought, though he did buy Charley Burley's contract to avoid having to fight him again!To be added to Southpaw's list are also a few fighters he fought but didn't manage to beat:
          Bob Montgomery
          Billy Conn
          Beau Jack
          Sugar Ray Robinson
          Red Cochrane
          Billy Conn
          Lou Ambers

Tough tough guy
          This article I posted about Burley explains is better...........
          http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...charley+burley

Comment

Originally posted by .SOUTHPAW16BF. View Post
            This article I posted about Burley explains is better...........
            http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...charley+burley
            Hey did my best!

Comment

Freakishly tough!..... Gets overlooked on resume of loses.... Real shame, cos I regard him as an ATG... An odd canundrum, as he beat much better fighters than he lost to...

Comment

Working...
              X