No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Team USA: Sometimes The Gold Comes Later

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Team USA: Sometimes The Gold Comes Later

By Cliff Rold - Everyone can’t be Oscar De La Hoya.

As U.S. fans have watched five boxers in a row exit the games, two in the round of 32 and now three in the round of 16, they can easily recall the Gold Medalists of years past. We have had only three since 1992.

Yes, it’s been 20 years since Oscar De La Hoya won Gold in Barcelona and became a star. David Reid would join the fraternity in 1996 and Andre Ward would follow suit in 2004. Pickings have otherwise been slim, a smattering of podium appearances. [Click Here To Read More]

next Olympics will see the return of USA dominance, with no headgear and the 10 point system returning

tired of these eastern European boxer-fencers

Comment

Originally posted by Fat< View Post
      next Olympics will see the return of USA dominance, with no headgear and the 10 point system returning

tired of these eastern European boxer-fencers
      I heard they will finally allow the pro's to join in the next olympics. Is it true?

Comment

Originally posted by Radke View Post
        I heard they will finally allow the pro's to join in the next olympics. Is it true?
        I don't want to see pros in the Olympics personally.

Comment

A lot of talent in the USA camp but not really any ''special talents'' same can be said about team GB as well unfortunately a lot of solid fighters but no one that sticks out as a future great

Comment

Now I see why a lot of guys are turning Pro at 18-19 years old

just to get on the US Olympic team I hear it is a lot of Politics in that alone, then once you get on then you have to worry about the Corruption...is it really worth it for a Medal sadly most people won't even remember because Amateur and Olympic Boxing don't get much coverage

but your talking about guys like Jose Benavidez, Frankie Gomez, Adrien Broner, Danny Garcia, Daquan Arnett (who probably should be on this current US TEAM), Gary Russell Jr., Mikey Garcia...all these guys turned Pro VERY YOUNG for a reason, something has to be wrong more so on the INSIDE of TEAM USA BOXING

Comment

After seeing the awful sport that Olympic boxing has become I don't feel so bad if our guys don't win gold. To excel at this style of fighting, with this insipid judging, requires specialization and luck.

Heck, even Cuba didn't win any golds in 2008.

Comment

I don't like the scoring and all that jazz but I guess that's amateur boxing...

If it was up to me, for the Olympics I'd take that damn headgear off...

Comment

They're all in the NBA/NFL, especially the flyweights and bantamweights.

Comment

Originally posted by Exocet View Post
                    They're all in the NBA/NFL, especially the flyweights and bantamweights.
                    Uh, the NBA/NFL thing is only used to explain the lack of quality heavyweights in the pros.

The amateur game is a whole different thing altogether.

Comment

Working...
                    X