No announcement yet.

1983 Greg Page question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983 Greg Page question

Hope someone can help, I have a photo of Greg Page fighting an opponant in 1983 (?) Las Vegas.

All I can see of the opponant is his back, he has White shorts on and the words "Mr Snipes" in blue lettering on the back of his belt.

Can anyone suggest who it might be, any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by actionplus; 01-24-2005, 09:47 AM.

renaldo snipes (25-2-1) at the time of the fight, hope this helps.
    if you want anymore info on greg at all let me know i have email contact with him from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by JPW
      if you want anymore info on greg at all let me know i have email contact with him from time to time.

I bet Larry Holmes remembers "Mr." Snipes

Comment

YOU BET HE DID, a brief synopsis of Snipes below:

He first came to light when he spoiled the heavyweight plans of the excellent 175 pound champ, Eddie Mustafa Muhammad.

But next up he was involved in a huge controversy, when he got a very lucky decision against Gerrie Coetzee that stank the house out.

No-one, outside of the judges, thought he won that, and there were all sorts of corruption stories flying around for the next few months.

Anyway, as a result, he was seen as a real patsy going into the Holmes fight: nothing more than a light snack for Larry to feast on, as Homes tuned up for The Big One: Gerry Cooney ( and a near world record pay day ).

But what a shock Holmes got in the 7th - Snipes connected with a huge right hand and the whole boxing world held it's breath as Larry staggered to his feet and Snipes closed in.....
        The Cooney meg fight looked out the window, but Holmes somehow survived a real crisis with heart and guile.

It was that fight that caused a lot of people to think the Irishman had a real chance against Holmes I think the main reason Snipes never got another shot, was everytime he'd get a decent run going, he'd go and lose the next fight. ( and maybe he fell out with King too )

Apparently he was scheduled to fight Tyson (after tyson had lost to Buster douglas) but was dropped due to the fact he wanted too much money.

Marvdave if I find out any more ill let you know

Comment

apparently he broke his hand agianst Janie Howe which curtailed his late run of form effectively ending his career.....

Comment

Ask him Why he didn't fight( or why did he duck ) Teofilio Stevenson as an amateur.

Comment

Originally posted by JPW
              Also ask him when he lost to Tony Tubbs as an amateur.

Comment

Snipes also beat Trevor Berbick, just months after Berbick had upset Greg Page.
                Snipes was coming off a loss to Tim Witherspoon in a really lousy fight.

Snipes was an awkward fighter, who could generate some power in his right hand.
                Aside from that, he was ordinary.

His decision "victory" over Coetzee had to be seen to be believed.
                It was one of the worst decisions ever.
                Last edited by jabsRstiff; 02-03-2005, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76
                  Also ask him when he lost to Tony Tubbs as an amateur.
                  if you think that i am going to put that type of question to a former heavyweight champ who is now crippled due to the shoddy medical services available when he lost his last bout in asmall hall, you are sadly mistaken my friend.

have a heart.

Comment

I have a heart, but the fact of the matter is he fought or had a chance to fight many good fighters and that's life.It's not an insult to Greg to ask questions about his career.

Comment

Working...
                    X