No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Chavez Jr. Downs Lee, Fully Focused on Sergio Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Chavez Jr. Downs Lee, Fully Focused on Sergio Martinez

By Jake Donovan - Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. overcame a slow start to batter Andy Lee into submission in the seventh round of their middleweight title fight Saturday evening at the Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas.

The official time was 2:23 of round seven in their HBO-televised main event. All three judges had Lee ahead 58-56 on the official scorecards at the time of the stoppage.

There are several traits that the second generation fighter picked up from his father, the legendary Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. One in particular is his penchant for slow starts, which was what transpired in this particular bout. Chavez Jr. stalked in the early rounds, but didn’t let his hands go enough as Lee was able to control the action largely on the strength of his jab from the southpaw stance.

Chavez Jr. began to close the gap in round three, scoring with uppercuts and body shots. Lee was still effective with the jab, but would soon find out that boxing alone wasn’t enough to get the job done.

“My punches had no effect on him,” Lee admitted after the fight. “He just walked through my shots. He’s a big middleweight. It was hard to move him with my shots.”

The inability to hurt his opponent was thrown in Lee’s face as Chavez Jr. began dancing and clowning in the fifth. The tactics were in part his exuding confidence that he was in full control of the fight, even if Lee was the busier fighter. There is also the theory that Chavez Jr. was trying to save up for something spectacular while fighting through leg cramps which developed in the opening round. [Click Here To Read More]

Please don't brush the fact that Chavez Jr REFUSED to give a urine sample under the rug.

Did he end up giving his urine sample or not? Did he leave the building again?? *oops*

Comment

Sergio is shook

Comment

If Margarito can pound Martinez out Chavez can Retire em.

Comment

sergio is going to get ktfo. watch him demand extra testing again in fear.

Comment

Chavez Jr is a big boy, Sergio better not gas out.

Comment

Chavez did good for all the haters hatting on him he prove you guys wrong and am sure he can ko martinez as well

Comment

seeing chavez i say dam he can beat martinez,
                then i see the greatness of sexy then i tell myself
                chavez can not hang with a true world class fighter such as sexy !
                and wtf ? with him not providing a urine test ????? thats the main question here. pinche puto!

Comment

I'm curious about the urine test too.

I'm starting to like Jr. but this would be twice now that he's refused to pee in a cup as per rules.

Comment

Originally posted by danceswithfire View Post
                    sergio is going to get ktfo. watch him demand extra testing again in fear.
                    Not sure if serious.

Maybe you meant "Watch Sergio ask for ANY kind of testing"...cuz..you know...Chavez is SO known for taking AND passing tests.

Anyway, this fight will be interesting just because of how huge Chavez Jr is. Nobody really believes he's better than Sergio but dude is big as hell. Which is kind of ironic since some people call Sergio a "midget" chaser yet he's been chasing the biggest guy in the division. :|..hell, he might be the biggest guy within 2-3 divisions lol.

<__<..Funny thing though... I actually pictured Chavez Jr moving up and beating the hell out of Bute by just tanking everything like Froch did lol.

Can't help but love the circus act that is Chavez Jr though.

Comment

Working...
                    X