Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't Pacquiao follow Roach's instructions inbetween rounds??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why didn't Pacquiao follow Roach's instructions inbetween rounds??

Freddie told Manny several times throughout the fight that he needed to move to his right, but Pac continuously kept moving to his left. He wasn't really circling, persay - it was more like he was "drifting" left then it was circling (IMO). Most of the time when Manny threw his punches he was also dipping to his left, which played into Marquez's right hand power shots. The few times when Pac actually did go to his right, and when he threw combos and dodged out to the right (which was rare), he would make JMM miss most of the time. And also, when Pac did go to his right - with the way JMM's stance is and with the feet placement between a southpaw and conventional fighter, it made it harder for JMM to move at that angle. I noticed it so early in the fight that it was frustrating the hell out of me. I can't for the life of me figure out why Manny didn't listen to Freddies advice on that. It seemed like Manny hardly used any angles against Juan at all, which is bizarre IMO. With JMM being such a supreme counter puncher, he was able to come back and catch Pac with 2 or 3 good counter punches almost every time Manny would throw anything.

Do you think it could have made any significant difference in the fight if Pac would have listened to Roach's instruction regarding that?

In addition: After just watching the replay of the fight on HBO tonight (Side note: they showed a few things from the 24/7 angle like they did in FMJ/Ortiz) - a few things of interest that I hadn't seen during the PPV....

After they showed the scores and announced Pac was the winner, the 24/7 camera panned to Alex Ariza - who clearly mouthed "Whew!" and made a motion of wiping sweat off of his eyebrow (and then he laughed). I thought that was kindof telling of him to do that.

After they showed Pacquiao was the winner, the camera went directly to Marquez's corner and Bob Arum was in there talking to Juan. I don't think I've ever seen Bob go to Pacs opponent before going to Pac first. Odd for Bob? It looked like he was saying something serious (Probably something like "Juan, think of all the money we could make with a 4th fight.")

And perhaps the funniest thing (IMO), was when Max was interviewing an all-but(t) naked JMM in the dressing room, after the fight. Max would ask Juan a question, look down at that sombrero, and then embarassingly look away. At one time, even chuckling before asking the next question. Max looked hella uncomfortable, especially since Juan had his legs stretched out and laid back, looking like he litterally just got ****ed LOL.

roach is crazy

Comment

Great post and nice analysis.

IMO Manny made this fight harder than it had to be. Also, Manny showed Marquez way too much respect. I said it after the fight and I'll say it again, If Manny would have used the same effective aggression he used in the Cotto fight, there would be no controversy and he would have won decisively.

Comment

Believe it or not it easier said than done. Try patting your head rubbing your belly at the same time, then switch hands.

Comment

Originally posted by -Top Rank- View Post
          Great post and nice analysis.

IMO Manny made this fight harder than it had to be. Also, Manny showed Marquez way too much respect. I said it after the fight and I'll say it again, If Manny would have used the same effective aggression he used in the Cotto fight, there would be no controversy and he would have won decisively.
          He could he would have. I'm getting fed up of people saying things along those lines, Pacquiao looked different against Marquez because Marquez would take a step back or slip when Pacquiao landed the first shot, preventing the follow up combination.

In the early rounds Cotto planted his feet and tried trading with Pacquiao which allowed the former to circle him. If he'd take a step back, his angles would open up and it would be easier to view Pacquioa's movements.

Comment

Originally posted by kimmiblob View Post
            roach is crazy

Comment

Originally posted by Lorily View Post
              Freddie told Manny several times throughout the fight that he needed to move to his right, but Pac continuously kept moving to his left. He wasn't really circling, persay - it was more like he was "drifting" left then it was circling (IMO). Most of the time when Manny threw his punches he was also dipping to his left, which played into Marquez's right hand power shots. The few times when Pac actually did go to his right, and when he threw combos and dodged out to the right (which was rare), he would make JMM miss most of the time. And also, when Pac did go to his right - with the way JMM's stance is and with the feet placement between a southpaw and conventional fighter, it made it harder for JMM to move at that angle. I noticed it so early in the fight that it was frustrating the hell out of me. I can't for the life of me figure out why Manny didn't listen to Freddies advice on that. It seemed like Manny hardly used any angles against Juan at all, which is bizarre IMO. With JMM being such a supreme counter puncher, he was able to come back and catch Pac with 2 or 3 good counter punches almost every time Manny would throw anything.

Do you think it could have made any significant difference in the fight if Pac would have listened to Roach's instruction regarding that?

In addition: After just watching the replay of the fight on HBO tonight (Side note: they showed a few things from the 24/7 angle like they did in FMJ/Ortiz) - a few things of interest that I hadn't seen during the PPV....

After they showed the scores and announced Pac was the winner, the 24/7 camera panned to Alex Ariza - who clearly mouthed "Whew!" and made a motion of wiping sweat off of his eyebrow (and then he laughed). I thought that was kindof telling of him to do that.

After they showed Pacquiao was the winner, the camera went directly to Marquez's corner and Bob Arum was in there talking to Juan. I don't think I've ever seen Bob go to Pacs opponent before going to Pac first. Odd for Bob? It looked like he was saying something serious (Probably something like "Juan, think of all the money we could make with a 4th fight.")

And perhaps the funniest thing (IMO), was when Max was interviewing an all-but(t) naked JMM in the dressing room, after the fight. Max would ask Juan a question, look down at that sombrero, and then embarassingly look away. At one time, even chuckling before asking the next question. Max looked hella uncomfortable, especially since Juan had his legs stretched out and laid back, looking like he litterally just got ****ed LOL.

/thread

Comment

probably because roach's instructions consisted of "put him on his ass" and "we need a knockout to win"

Comment

Marquez is the only guy Manny has fought since moving up in wieght that respected his power and did not try to trade with him. I don't think Cotto is capable of not walking strait in and trading with his opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorily View Post

You raise some very valid points Sis, and it's an definately a topic worth indepth discussion. I wish I could have seen the replay to pick up on the things that I missed during the live broadcast. I am eagerly awaiting to see some of the responses to the points you've shed some light on.

Consider me subscribed to this here thread.

Comment

Working...
                    X