No announcement yet.

Will we ever see an MMA Hall of Fame?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will we ever see an MMA Hall of Fame?

I'm not talking about that bullcrap UFC Hall of Fame, but a proper Hall of Fame for all fighters in the sport, no matter what promotion they fought for. You think they'll ever be one? I think there will, but doubt we'll ever live to see it, unless someone invents time travel. I mean, if it took until 1980 for the World Boxing Hall of Fame to open and 1990 for the International Boxing Hall of Fame, which is well respected, to open, I don't really have high hopes for an MMA Hall. But, just for argument's sake, if there WAS one, who would you want to see inducted? Here are some picks of mine:

Fedor
    Anderson Silva
    Wanderlei Silva
    Royce Gracie
    Rorion Gracie and Art Davie (early owners and pioneers of the UFC)
    Chuck Liddell
    Kazushi Sakuraba
    Dan Henderson
    Randy Couture
    Dan Severn
    Don Frye
    Ken Shamrock
    Frank Shamrock
    Matt Hughes
    GSP
    Pride Owners
    Strikeforce owner (Scott Coker?)
    Bas Rutten (as a fighter and commentator and the other guy, Stephen Quadros, I think his name is)
    Jeff Blatnick (UFC commentator, later became a commissioner, coined the term Mixed Martial Arts), speaking of coining terms
    Mark "The Hammer" Coleman (not the first, but the one to make famous and coin the term "ground and pound", the first UFC Heavyweight Champion and Won Pride FC 2000 Openweight Grand Prix Tournament)

I could see maybe an outside shot for Renzo Gracie, since he's got his gym in New York and won an IFL team championship in 2007, so maybe as a trainer and possibly Frank Mir, who could've been dominant for longer, if not for that motorcycle accident and came back to win the interim belt. I know you guys probably won't agree with those last two though, more sentimental picks as a fan, TBH.

So what do you think and who would your picks for induction be?

My list would be way too long. There are pioneers of the sport that weren't directly in MMA, you'd have to include.

You're forgetting Jim Brown. He commentated the first few UFC's.

Comment

Probably not because UFC have a monopoly going.

Comment

From what I have heard, John Perretti coined the term 'mixed martial arts' in the 1970s.

He is a former professional kickboxer, former UFC matchmaker, one of the original Lebel blackbelts, and former owner of the short-lived 'Battlecade Extreme Fighting' MMA promotion.
        Last edited by Drunken Cat; 02-27-2013, 12:44 AM.

Comment

No Kimbo???? shiet list.

Comment

No unless Bellator can somehow but most likely impossibly take the reigns from the UFC. Since the UFC is in direct control pretty much their will never be one. Even the MMA awards are a joke. They even counted Dan Henderson vs Shogun as fight of the year 2012 when it happened in November 2011. It wasn't like Paul Williams vs Sergio Martinez 1 which happened a week or 2 before the new year. And the awards are all ufc biased anyway. MMAjunkie usually wins website of the year because they kiss ufc ass.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

not really, ufc is mma and i dont see that changing

Comment

Originally posted by inITtoWINit View Post
                My list would be way too long. There are pioneers of the sport that weren't directly in MMA, you'd have to include.

You're forgetting Jim Brown. He commentated the first few UFC's.
                Yeah, he was pretty good too. He had one of the best quotes from the early UFC PPVs after the first one when he said something like "Today we learned that fighting is not what we thought it was" after Royce used grappling and submissions mostly to dispatch 3 opponents in one day. I also liked when he went "Talk to ME" after Royce submitted Dan Severn to win UFC 4. Probably the first time most people saw a leg triangle choke.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                  From what I have heard, John Perretti coined the term 'mixed martial arts' in the 1970s.

He is a former professional kickboxer, former UFC matchmaker, one of the original Lebel blackbelts, and former owner of the short-lived 'Battlecade Extreme Fighting' MMA promotion.
                  Really? That's pretty ****in cool. In all of Blatnick's obits I read, he was credited for the term. So maybe John Perretti coined it and Blatnick made it famous?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    Yeah, he was pretty good too. He had one of the best quotes from the early UFC PPVs after the first one when he said something like "Today we learned that fighting is not what we thought it was" after Royce used grappling and submissions mostly to dispatch 3 opponents in one day. I also liked when he went "Talk to ME" after Royce submitted Dan Severn to win UFC 4. Probably the first time most people saw a leg triangle choke.
                    Yeah, Jim Brown was the man. He had some funny ass quotes that I forgot about.

Comment

Working...
                    X