No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward Dominates Rodriguez in Mismatch of Skill

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ward should step on the gas

Ward dominated like he was suppose to. He had a guy in front of him who tried to make an ugly fight and Ward spanked him.

My only problem with Ward is I wish he'd step on the gas a little more. It was clear from round 1 that Rodriguez was way way in over his head. It was clear that Ward was able to do anything he wanted with Rodriguez, so why not press the offense a little more and chase the Knock Out!

Just the other day he was saying he could KO Froch, but here he had a guy who wasn't even in the same league as him and he couldn't put him away.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
      How are you going to say that about a Ward opponent? That's been the complaint about Ward his whole career. Even last night he cut Rodriguez with a headbutt.

You call Rodriguez a bully, but Ward's usually the bully. He's the rough-house fighter.
      Nigel sucked and was roided for that G man fight.

Comment

Originally posted by jrrod02 View Post
        Ward dominated like he was suppose to. He had a guy in front of him who tried to make an ugly fight and Ward spanked him.

My only problem with Ward is I wish he'd step on the gas a little more. It was clear from round 1 that Rodriguez was way way in over his head. It was clear that Ward was able to do anything he wanted with Rodriguez, so why not press the offense a little more and chase the Knock Out!

Just the other day he was saying he could KO Froch, but here he had a guy who wasn't even in the same league as him and he couldn't put him away.
        14 month lay-off, shoulder surgery. First fight back versus a hungry guy that just wanted to land a lucky winged punch. I'm not 100% sold on his right hand being better. Those power jabs that knocked E-rod's head back could have easily been followed up but it seems he was too worried about E-Rod landing something lucky after he got hit. It look like E-rod's gameplan was to get hit and throw something crazy back and pray he got lucky cause he was not going to outbox Ward at all.

Comment

Originally posted by nauti4life85 View Post
          14 month lay-off, shoulder surgery. First fight back versus a hungry guy that just wanted to land a lucky winged punch. I'm not 100% sold on his right hand being better. Those power jabs that knocked E-rod's head back could have easily been followed up but it seems he was too worried about E-Rod landing something lucky after he got hit. It look like E-rod's gameplan was to get hit and throw something crazy back and pray he got lucky cause he was not going to outbox Ward at all.
          I understand this, but that seems to be the problem with every opponent. He out classes them throws one or two hard punches, but never follows up. He's too hesitant and doesn't chase the KO. If he wants to put butts in seats and become a superstar he has to become more fan friendly. There is nothing more painful to watch than seeing a guy completely outclass an opponent but not be willing to take a tiny risk to get the KO.

Comment

Boxing is lucky to have a guy like Ward, a true champion.

Comment

I understand this, but that seems to be the problem with every opponent. He out classes them throws one or two hard punches, but never follows up. He's too hesitant and doesn't chase the KO. If he wants to put butts in seats and become a superstar he has to become more fan friendly. There is nothing more painful to watch than seeing a guy completely outclass an opponent but not be willing to take a tiny risk to get the KO.
              Take this paragraph, warp us to 1998, and put it in a Roy Jones thread and it would fit perfectly. Not saying Ward is Roy Jones, but it's startling to see how people have said this exact same thing about so many great fighters. You win, you become a star eventually, for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                Take this paragraph, warp us to 1998, and put it in a Roy Jones thread and it would fit perfectly. Not saying Ward is Roy Jones, but it's startling to see how people have said this exact same thing about so many great fighters. You win, you become a star eventually, for the most part.
                You're out of your mind. Roy Jones put combinations together, Roy Jones KO'd people. The problem fans eventually had with Roy was his lack of competition.

To your other point, you win you become a star. This is true, for the most part. The problem is Ward has been winning. Heck he cleaned out his division and took on the number one guy in the next division and beat him, yet he still struggles to put butts in seats. He now has to either take a bit more of a risk and be more exciting, or he can take a page out of Mayweather.
                Last edited by JJRod; 11-17-2013, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Absolutely dominate off over a year layoff against a top 10 undefeated SMW. P4P right here.

Comment

I think being in the ring with a guy that has decent KO power and just sits on his punches, throwing wild was enough to keep ward from pushing for the KO. 1-2 power punches and move since staying in the pocket resulted in E-Rod or Ward just holding. I honestly think he could have stopped him via ref stoppage by pressing the action and not backing off, but neither one of us were in the ring getting hit either to gauge E-Rods power. From experience, those wild punches coming from awkward angles are usually enough to keep most at bay. Nobody wants to get clipped by a bum lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X