• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pintor vs Owen
    Bennett vs Eubanks II

Comment

• Evander-Tyson one. Great fight!!

Comment

• Time-Warner Cable has the first Leonard-Hearns fight (1981) on their On-Demand channel this month and I watched it yesterday. Even though this was one of the greatest fights in the history of the sport, I had been avoiding watching this fight again over the years because I was a big Hitman Hearns fan and was devastated that night in ’81 when he lost. It did, however, bring back memories of when I viewed the fight on a big closed-circuit screen (no such thing as PPV back then). I remember how my whole body trembled uncontrollably as the fighters made their walk to the ring through the crowd to the sound of Rocky music. Those moments were electrifying. That kind of excitement is rarely seen today in the minutes leading to a bout. Unlike the situation of a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight from happening, it was a time when the two best fighters in the world did in fact face each other in the ring.

Comment

• George Foreman vs. Ron Lyle- Epic heavyweight slugfest that was fought with 8oz gloves according to Cosell. This was Foreman's first fight under his new trainer Gil Clancy. Lyle won the first landing some good shots. Foreman won the second. 3rd was pretty even. The 4th must have won round of the year because Foreman was knocked down twice and Lyle once. In the 5th Foreman KO's him.

Foreman had a hell of a chin because Lyle was landing some bombs on him.

Comment

• Oscar De La Hoya vs. Oba Carr- In the first DLH scores a knockdown. Rounds 2-6 Carr does pretty well giving as good as he takes. Some of the punches he throws are low. In the 7th the ref Richard Steele takes away 2 points from Carr. One for an accidental headbutt which had Merchant wondering why and another for a low blow. From the 8th until the TKO in the 11th Oscar gets back to bouncing around and picking his shots. I thought Steele was quick to stop the fight but now that I think about it Oscar would have knocked out Carr anyway seeing how there was still about 2 minutes left in the round.

Comment

• Gerald McClellan vs Julian Jackson- A match between two fighters with extremely high KO ratios. 1st round was pretty even. The 2nd had Jackson landing some good rights toward the end of the round. Unintentional headbutt in the 3rd which I thought Gerald won. 4th was Gerald's round. In the 5th Jackson hits Gerald with a low blow but after the timeout he floors Jackson with a left hook. He knocks him down again a few seconds later. Jackson makes it back up but he looks lost as Mills Lane stops the fight.

Comment

• Tommy Morrison vs. Razor Ruddock- Good back and forth heavyweight fight. In the first Razor knocks Tommy down with a right uppercut. In the second Morrison staggers Ruddock with a right uppercut of his own. Since Razor had to use the ropes to catch himself from falling the ref rules it a knockdown. Rounds 3-4 I gave to Tommy due to activity. In the 5th the ref calls a timeout for a low blow by Ruddock. Right after the timeout Ruddock takes the fight to Tommy and wins the round landing real good shots. Ruddock comes out aggressive in round 6 and lands a good shot only to get countered with a left hook that knocks him flat on his back. He makes it up in time and Tommy goes after him causing the ref to issue a standing 8 count. Tommy goes after him again and within a few seconds the ref waves it off. Tommy TKO6 Ruddock.

Comment

• Mike McCallum vs Ayub Kalule- McCallum is 16-0 at this point against his first fight against a southpaw. An experienced southpaw with over 40 fights under his belt including fights against Leonard and Moore. McCallum scores a knockdown in the first and completes a shutout until the ref stops it after the 7th round. Kalule was game but Mike was just too much in this fight.

Comment

• Nigel Benn vs. Michael Watson- A fight with Benn defending his commonwealth middleweight title against Watson. Benn comes out strong in the first really taking the fight to Watson. Watson maintains his composure under his defense landing a jab here or there. 2nd and 3rd round has good back and forth action. In the 4th Watson lands some killer shots but Benn comes back with good shots of his own. More of the same in the 5th which I gave to Watson since he landed to more telling blows. Benn gets caught in the eye in the 6th causing him to back up. He comes back swinging but ends up getting caught with a jab that sends him to the canvas. He makes up by 8 but the ref waves it off giving Benn his first loss. Good slugfest.

Comment

• Frank Tate vs Tony Sibson
                      Lloyd Honeyghan vs. Jorge Vaca II
                      Rocky Lockridge vs. Harold Knight

All from the same old vhs tape.

Comment

Working...
                      X