Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The British Empire at its peak... Where does it rank?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
    LOL.. The only reason I even mentioned Germany had conquered a lot of inland Europe, is because you didn't seem to know that it did. . .
    You said "What does WW2 have to do with the British Empire (a lot, actually), and 'The British Empire did not exist then.'" Pure ignorance.
    Iv already stated my opinion about winning battles and losing the war not constituting an empire having successfully conquered in relation to Germany.

Show me where i said "the British Empire didn't exist then"? I did say "what does WWII have to do with the British Empire".....in the context of discussing whether they had been conquered during their existance. The British Empire wasn't conquered during it's existance the Angles and Saxons, Normans, and Germans during WWII don't qualify.

Yours

Obviously you are biased. Germany did either completely take over, or partially occupy a lot of inland Europe during WW2.
    Mine

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
    Care to explain what WW2 has to do with the British Empire or that era? When you stated they had never been conquered i didn't correct you because i assumed you were talking about that specific era.

Comment

Iv already stated my opinion about winning battles and losing the war not constituting an empire having successfully conquered in relation to Germany.

Show me where i said "the British Empire didn't exist then"? I did say "what does WWII have to do with the British Empire".....in the context of discussing whether they had been conquered during their existance. The British Empire wasn't conquered during it's existance the Angles and Saxons, Normans, and Germans during WWII don't qualify.

Yours

Mine

Ok, going back to how Germany was even brought in this discussion.

I said The British Empire had never been conquered, and you're right, you didn't try to incorrectly "correct" me on that (Nodogoshi did) like France (the French Empire still at the time) had been conquered by Germany.

I wasn't trying to imply Germany was an empire, I was simply saying another EUropean empire had been conquered; I also mentioned how the Spanish Empire was briefly conquered by France under Napoleon (temporarily ending the inquisition - another thread for that later, though). This was simply to show how dominant the British Empire was, and how powerful they were - having never been conquered, while their contemporary EUropean counterparts had been.

I never meant to imply Germany was an empire when it conquered inland Europe, and you thought I meant that Germany conquered almost all of inland Europe when it was an empire. . .

Let's get back on track. Obviously you are not ignorant, and knew The British Empire was very much in existence during WW2.

Comment

Ok, going back to how Germany was even brought in this discussion.

I said The British Empire had never been conquered, and you're right, you didn't try to incorrectly "correct" me on that (Nodogoshi did) like France (the French Empire still at the time) had been conquered by Germany.

I wasn't trying to imply Germany was an empire, I was simply saying another EUropean empire had been conquered; I also mentioned how the Spanish Empire was briefly conquered by France under Napoleon (temporarily ending the inquisition - another thread for that later, though). This was simply to show how dominant the British Empire was, and how powerful they were - having never been conquered, while their contemporary EUropean counterparts had been.

I never meant to imply Germany was an empire when it conquered inland Europe, and you thought I meant that Germany conquered almost all of inland Europe when it was an empire. . .

Let's get back on track. Obviously you are not ignorant, and knew The British Empire was very much in existence during WW2.
        To note, I know the difference between the British Empire era and say the British Isles prior to the Norman conquest of 1066. I thought that based on the context of the conversation that you were arguing that the land we now know as Great Britain had never been conquered.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
          To note, I know the difference between the British Empire era and say the British Isles prior to the Norman conquest of 1066. I thought that based on the context of the conversation that you were arguing that the land we now know as Great Britain had never been conquered.
          Cool. I thought it was clear I was talking about England during the era of the British Empire; I can see how it could have been inferred otherwise, though.

You've always came across as a pretty learned poster. It didn't seem as if you were giving me that same respect by your response - "some suggested reading," rather than clarifying it with me. All good, though.

Comment

Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, Austo-Hungarian Empire, and Ottoman Turkish Empire are probably the largest and/or longest lasting empires in this second millenium C.E. which get overlooked or people are most unfamiliar with.

Comment

The greatest.

Comment

Originally posted by RwK View Post
                I agree with the actual power, but not the later.

I don't know of any other Country who is as feeble (They're weak) yet pretentiously acts like they're this planet's royalty.

Basic human rights are the only thing stopping them from being attacked OUTRIGHT by every nation that has a settle to score with them.
                The funny thing is no one has a bone to pick with the UK, all the hate and animosity is towards USA. Whatever hate we get is because we're associated with you.

Being English is a God given right, should do some research and you'll find the answers to the questions you ask.

Comment

Cool. I thought it was clear I was talking about England during the era of the British Empire; I can see how it could have been inferred otherwise, though.

You've always came across as a pretty learned poster. It didn't seem as if you were giving me that same respect by your response - "some suggested reading," rather than clarifying it with me. All good, though.
                  Well, it is actually a really good book.

Comment

Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, Austo-Hungarian Empire, and Ottoman Turkish Empire are probably the largest and/or longest lasting empires in this second millenium C.E. which get overlooked or people are most unfamiliar with.
                    My peoples are Austo-Hungarian, through and through (that is to say, my Grandmother's family; my grandmother herself grew up in Vienna, but was uprooted by the Nazi ascension to power).

But, I must mention that you forget the Chinese.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
                      The funny thing is no one has a bone to pick with the UK, all the hate and animosity is towards USA. Whatever hate we get is because we're associated with you.

Being English is a God given right, should do some research and you'll find the answers to the questions you ask.

The reason is because the US basically inherited the imperialist ambitions from the UK. However, the animosity that the UK gets isn't so much associated with the US, it's more so a result of the UK going along with the US on various imperialist adventures, and thus exposing themselves to the blowback thereby incurred.

Of course, it isn't quite as simple as the Brits just following the US around. The Brits were never going to let the US go into Iraq for instance without them. Why do you think the Brits took basically exclusive control of Mosul? If you answer that it has to do with British corporate oil interests, you answered correctly.

Comment

Working...
                      X