No announcement yet.

You'll be missed, Ricky Hatton

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You'll be missed, Ricky Hatton

Saturday nights result was tinged with sadness, not just for the defeat, but the fact that we’ll never see Ricky Hatton in the ring again. Those balmy nights, the singing, the dancing, the anticipation, the love everyone felt for him. I’m sure many of his fans would gladly have taken those punches for him if they could.

We are never going to be talking about the world’s best fighter, not even close. Yes he ruled the roost at 140 for a few short years, and yes he did win a world title at 147 but the reality – and we know it – was that the LWW division was much weaker in the latter part of the 2000’s and his stint at 147 was short lived. When it came to the cream of crop Ricky came up short.

BUT, understand this, haters. Ricky Hatton was, without doubt, question or hesitation, the most loved fighter in the world. Yes, universally the likes of Manny and Floyd have their fans – most on this forum! However, for pure fan devotion, Ricky Hatton was THE true world champion. I’ve been over 10 of his fights and countless others around the world and nothing, NOTHING comes close to the atmosphere and love generated by the most loyal fans that are the Hatton fans.

I know people will still s****** and mock his achievements, but he will be sadly missed. Boxing was unquestionably improved with his presence in the ring and i doubt we’ll ever see someone like him – someone so loyally adored – in the ring again.

God bless you son, thanks for ALL the memories.

It was actually his fanbase that kind of put me off supporting him as a fighter, I've never seen so many toothless football hooligans in all my life.

20,000 screaming Ricky Hatton fans all with a combined I.Q in single figures.

He had a good career, I just hope he stays in retirement now as he clearly doesn't have it anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
      It was actually his fanbase that kind of put me off supporting him as a fighter, I've never seen so many toothless football hooligans in all my life.

20,000 screaming Ricky Hatton fans all with a combined I.Q in single figures.

He had a good career, I just hope he stays in retirement now as he clearly doesn't have it anymore.
      Agree with this, the fans that follow him aren't boxing fans.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintGeorge View Post
        I’m a Ricky Hatton fan. I’ve worked in boxing for over 20 years and covered fights as a freelance journalist for various media outlets in over 15 different countries. I’ve probably forgotten more about boxing than you’ve ever learnt. That was a pretty daft and poorly thought out statement you just made.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintGeorge View Post
          I followed him and Im a boxing fan, of course they are boxing fans or they wouldnt go, they arent boxing fans as in hardcore fans, and actually that's one thing that annoys me about boxing fans, there's a perceived different level of fans which in itself is actually pathetic.

Oh, he's a real fan, oh, he just a casual fan doesnt know what he's talking about, oh yes he knows his stuff, dont listen to him only watches boxing now and again.

These fans are probably sports fans and they enjoy boxing aswel las other sports (bit like me) I enjoy to take part in and watch numerous different sports and I think thats quite normal. I'ts not often you get someone that has such a following and thats why its different.

Calzaghe actually had a similar following of fans that would also sing... Super Super Joe...Super Super Joe...

Lets not judge people by how much WE / YOU think they like or know about the sport or how much of a fan you think they are!
          Last edited by rampant; 11-26-2012, 09:57 AM.

Comment

PRIME ricky was the man, hats off to you mate. cheers

Comment

Working...
            X