Someone let me know why they think...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone let me know why they think...

Harry Greb > Gene Tunney?

Wasn't Tunney something like 3-1-1 against him? He also dominated the LHW game forever, and then moved up to beat one of the ATG heavyweights (I don't understand why people think Dempsey was so great either) twice.

I have no idea why people rate Tunney so low on ATG lists.

I agree with you. I do not understand how people place Greb above Tunney either. I think people just read a whole lot of stuff about Greb and just get carried away with it.

Comment

Bump it.

I don't feel fulfilled with the one response I got.

Someone else shed some sweet analysis on the subject.

Comment

I dont agree with that i think Tunney was one of the ATG fighters.

And the thing you have to remember about Dempsey, is that he fought he an extremely primitive age of the game. Very Very Very little modern techniques involved.

And a lot of the popular footage of Dempsey, like his fight against Sharkey and the long count fight with Tunney, was when he was washed up at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by DWiens421 View Post
          Bump it.

I don't feel fulfilled with the one response I got.

Someone else shed some sweet analysis on the subject.
          I think you would be better off posting this in the history section of the forum. Just be warned though that they love Greb over there.

Comment

Wasn't Tunney something like 3-1-1 against him? He also dominated the LHW game forever, and then moved up to beat one of the ATG heavyweights (I don't understand why people think Dempsey was so great either) twice.

If you go by his record Tunney should be up with the very best. I think that most rate him as a heavyweight, despite most of his career being in a lower weight class. I have also heard accusations that Tunney refused to fight any black opponents. You'd need a boxing historian to verify or dispute that.

Comment

Because Greb had accomplished more at middleweight I think so anyway

Comment

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/greb.html
                Here's an article about him.

Tunney being 3-1-1 against Greb does not necessarily mean that he is better, some of the decisions were disputed and Tunney was also the naturally bigger man, this was very evident in their last bout as he had around 15 lbs over the middleweight Greb.

When Tunney beat Dempsey it was after Dempsey had been out of the game for 3 years.
                It's still a great victory for Tunney because Dempsey was not an old man by any means but if you examine their heavyweight records, you will realize that Dempsey's is far better as Tunney's only wins at heavyweight come over an inactive Dempsey.

Comment

Greb was a natural middleweight, probably one of the best in history who fought naturally bigger guys at light heavyweight and sometimes even guys who weighed in at 180 or 190 and as TheMachine said, some of the decisions against Tunney were disputed.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
                    http://coxscorner.tripod.com/greb.html
                    Here's an article about him.

Tunney being 3-1-1 against Greb does not necessarily mean that he is better, some of the decisions were disputed and Tunney was also the naturally bigger man, this was very evident in their last bout as he had around 15 lbs over the middleweight Greb.

When Tunney beat Dempsey it was after Dempsey had been out of the game for 3 years.
                    It's still a great victory for Tunney because Dempsey was not an old man by any means but if you examine their heavyweight records, you will realize that Dempsey's is far better as Tunney's only wins at heavyweight come over an inactive Dempsey.
                    Originally posted by Silencers View Post
                    Greb was a natural middleweight, probably one of the best in history who fought naturally bigger guys at light heavyweight and sometimes even guys who weighed in at 180 or 190 and as TheMachine said, some of the decisions against Tunney were disputed.
                    I originally thought Tunney was better, but... after hearing both of you counter me... I think my mind might be changed. You two are the minds on here that I respect the most (wmute is the third).

Comment

Working...
                    X