Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where would paul williams be right now if not for his tragic accident?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where would paul williams be right now if not for his tragic accident?

How would the canelo fight have turned out? I really think he would've won that one in a great foty type of fight. I also think a win could have opened many other doors for him. A huge trilogy fight with sergio( both would've been coming off big wins on mex independence day over popular Mexicans). Maybe Cotto instead of trout in December. Would he have had any realistic chance at finally landing the mayweather fight?

Conversely, how would a loss have affected him? I'm sure many people would be calling for his retirement after this, the Lara fight and the martinez ko. I think win lose or draw with canelo there would be a great chance of him fighting guys no one seems to want like Carlos Molina or ggg. The guy was a true warrior and boxing definitly needs more guys like him

Canelo hype would have ended
    Probably Sergio rematch like you said
    Maybe him fighting trout I could see

Is he ever going to be able to fight again? Does he walk? I haven't really kept up to date with him (this isn't meant to sound disrespectful)

Comment

williams was finished as a top fighter. looked awful vs cintron, destroyed by martinez, destroyed by lara, and looked awful vs ishida. this is the reason canelo wanted to fight him. 4 bad fights in a row=safe enough for canelo to take the "risk"

Comment

he was on his way down...he clearly wasn't the same fighter...i think Canelo would have finished him had they fought

Comment

3 threads and you finally got a response...persistence

Comment

back on espn after the beatdown canelo would have gave him.

Comment

He was definitely on his way down, but I think he would've got the win against Canelo. Especially at that time. Where would he be now? Probably on ESPN like somebody else said.

Comment

He didn't become worse, or was losing it, he was fighting bigger guys that can punch and take his punches better. If you have seen his fights against Walter Matthysse [terrible defense in that fight], Carlos Quintana [countered and outboxed] and Antonio Margarito [He won but showed no defense], you would see that he was the same fighter, just fighting bigger guys who have more pop in their punches. The Ishida fight was 100% Paul Williams. Dude got knocked out by Martinez and came back not even one bit gunshy against Lara. Lara got him with a bunch of lefts and Williams never even wobbled.

BTW I had him over Canelo.

Comment

And no, Williams would not have been on ESPN. He was one of Haymon's most exciting fighter. Haymon would never let Williams go back down to FNF.

Comment

Originally posted by RyunosukeRonin View Post
                    3 threads and you finally got a response...persistence
                    I didnt think it was going thru so I kept hitting submit lol Idk how to delete the other ones tho.

And yea its true he was on his way down but I just think his struggles were largely against guys who chose to box and not engage as much, especially quick lefties. I think canelo would have been there to be hit and like pauls output to overwhelm him. But Paul was definetly there to be hit too so I think it would've been interesting

Comment

Working...
                    X