No announcement yet.

The Truth About Floyd Mayweather...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Truth About Floyd Mayweather...

This is a long psychoanalysis of what's going on with Floyd, but I'd bet $ on it being 95% true...

Luis "Cuba" Arias believes Floyd's move towards Alexander is just him showing he is the boss and isn't going to fight someone just because that's who everyone wants. I can believe this. It's almost like the media and boxing community has assigned Guerrero and Canelo as his opponents for 2013 without Mayweather ever acknowledging it. He very well may feel if that if he fights both of these guys as laid out, he is relinquishing some power.

All of this seems very silly and trivial to most people, but if you understand how much of a mental game boxing is, you understand how major this may be. Go back to when Broner fought DeMarco and Lampley/Merchant/Jones Jr were talking about DeMarco wearing the pink gloves and what did Jones Jr say?

"How do they force the Champion to wear them gloves? DeMarco really lost the fight when he agreed to wear those gloves"

On the surface, it's just gloves. But it is a back down and that mentality can carry into the ring. The mental game is that real, especially for Floyd with all that he has to lose.

And here is my point...Regardless of this mental dynamic, I honestly think this is amplified because I think Floyd has lost a step and I think he knows it. Floyd is obviously TERRIFIED of losing and both Guerrero and Canelo pose styles that may be difficult for him. I would not be surprised if he is legitimately concerned and that is influencing this stuff.

I think after Floyd beat Hatton, he was mentally VERY confident in his ability to beat damn near anyone. But even though he won, I think the Cotto fight changed Mayweather. Cotto is shot yet he gave Mayweather a tough fight. Cotto caught Mayweather with jabs repeatedly due to what looked like slowed reflexes from Mayweather. I am not sure that today's Floyd Mayweather would have taken the Mosley or Ortiz fight. We also don't know what the 3 month jail sentence did to Mayweather's skills. You also have the fact that Roger Mayweather is sick and may or may not be able to train at the appropriate level. I think all of these factors may be in place.

Floyd is a great champion and a master at the MENTAL aspect of this game. But I honestly think if he DOES fight two times this year and gets W's in both of those fights damn near no matter WHO he fights, it will speak tremendously about him and his place as an ATG.

Floyd is 43-0 but I think he is in uncharted territory because he's faced with the realization that his skills have diminished a bit. That changes EVERYTHING!

I do agree that he's lost something. I think its his violent streak. The last time we really saw it was against Mosley. He had to get his bell rung for those results. That fight had shades of that sfw Floyd that knew how to turn the heat up. He threw combos against Ortiz but there was no passion there. He didn't have any fire against Cotto. I didn't even like the over respectful nature of their dialogue. I hope he can muster up a little 'mean' for these last few fights. If he doesn't then they will be tougher than they have to be. He really needs to make a statement on the way out or suffer that fighters fate of going to long to the point of embarrassment simply trying to prove his worst is better than their best.

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
      Floyd's move towards Alexander is just him showing he is the boss and isn't going to fight someone just because that's who everyone wants.

Comment

Good read, but I think the Cotto fight has been over dramatized as a very hard fight for Floyd. It wasn't a walk in the park, but he won pretty comfortable. And I disagree with people who say his skills have diminished, no, it's his physical attributes that have but his skills are better than ever. And if guys like Hopkins and Marquez have taught us anything it's that skills overcome all and can compensate for age.

I agree with the rest though, Floyd does like to feel he's in charge of everything. It's also a bit amusing that a year ago, when asked about a potential Guerrero fight, he said he didn't have no clue who he was. I'm sure that's in the back of Floyd's mind too.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
          Good read, but I think the Cotto fight has been over dramatized as a very hard fight for Floyd. It wasn't a walk in the park, but he won pretty comfortable. And I disagree with people who say his skills have diminished, no, it's his physical attributes that have but his skills are better than ever. And if guys like Hopkins and Marquez have taught us anything it's that skills overcome all and can compensate for age.

I agree with the rest though, Floyd does like to feel he's in charge of everything. It's also a bit amusing that a year ago, when asked about a potential Guerrero fight, he said he didn't have no clue who he was. I'm sure that's in the back of Floyd's mind too.

Word is he was exteremly sick and was seriously thinking about pulling out. Might be true, might not but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

All of this seems very silly and trivial to most people, but if you understand how much of a mental game boxing is, you understand how major this may be. Go back to when Broner fought DeMarco and Lampley/Merchant/Jones Jr were talking about DeMarco wearing the pink gloves and what did Jones Jr say?

"How do they force the Champion to wear them gloves? DeMarco really lost the fight when he agreed to wear those gloves"

On the surface, it's just gloves. But it is a back down and that mentality can carry into the ring. The mental game is that real, especially for Floyd with all that he has to lose.
            I was sure this situation came about as Demarcos team thought Broners gloves were different to theirs, and so the team requested to use Broner's spare gloves to make sure it was even

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post

Agreed, bad wording on my part. I agree with the bolded. Physical ability not skills. And mainly his reflexes. I will say I think Floyd's style of fighting relies more on physical abilities (reflexes) than BHop's.

Comment

I don't think the Cotto fight was life or death that fight was in the balance going into the 12th rd; Cotto is future HOFer he fought like he was supposed to period point blank. Floyd will fight who will make him the most money and that's not Devon Alexander or really Rober Guerrero. Only Manny and Canelo make him money.
                Last edited by dc3383; 02-10-2013, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
                  This is a long psychoanalysis of what's going on with Floyd, but I'd bet $ on it being 95% true...

Luis "Cuba" Arias believes Floyd's move towards Alexander is just him showing he is the boss and isn't going to fight someone just because that's who everyone wants. I can believe this. It's almost like the media and boxing community has assigned Guerrero and Canelo as his opponents for 2013 without Mayweather ever acknowledging it. He very well may feel if that if he fights both of these guys as laid out, he is relinquishing some power.

And here is my point...Regardless of this mental dynamic, I honestly think this is amplified because I think Floyd has lost a step and I think he knows it. Floyd is obviously TERRIFIED of losing and both Guerrero and Canelo pose styles that may be difficult for him. I would not be surprised if he is legitimately concerned and that is influencing this stuff.

I think after Floyd beat Hatton, he was mentally VERY confident in his ability to beat damn near anyone. But even though he won, I think the Cotto fight changed Mayweather. Cotto is shot yet he gave Mayweather a tough fight. Cotto caught Mayweather with jabs repeatedly due to what looked like slowed reflexes from Mayweather. I am not sure that today's Floyd Mayweather would have taken the Mosley or Ortiz fight. We also don't know what the 3 month jail sentence did to Mayweather's skills. You also have the fact that Roger Mayweather is sick and may or may not be able to train at the appropriate level. I think all of these factors may be in place.

Floyd is a great champion and a master at the MENTAL aspect of this game. But I honestly think if he DOES fight two times this year and gets W's in both of those fights damn near no matter WHO he fights, it will speak tremendously about him and his place as an ATG.

Floyd is 43-0 but I think he is in uncharted territory because he's faced with the realization that his skills have diminished a bit. That changes EVERYTHING!
                  butt hurt pacquiao fan

Comment

Originally posted by dc3383 View Post
                    I don't think the Cotto fight was life or death that fight was in the balnce going inot the 12th rd; Cotto is future HOFer he fought like he was supposed to period point blank. Floyd will fight who will make him the most money and that's not Devon Alexander or really Rober Guerrero. Only Manny and Canelo make him money.
                    Yeah. Floyd had one of many bloody noses in his career and the crowd an HBO ate it up. The more I watch it the more it looks like Floyd dominated pretty clearly. Getting hit by a few jabs from a HOFer ain't bad at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X