No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Rios Keeps His Promise, Rocks The Home Depot Center

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Rios Keeps His Promise, Rocks The Home Depot Center

By Jake Donovan - Brandon Rios made the first defense of his lightweight belt with a third round knockout of Urbano Antillon on Saturday evening at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California.

The official time was 2:49 of the third round.

The fight promised to be a war for however long it lasted. Even Rios was surprised by how early it ended, but nobody was shocked over how the bout came to a close.

Both fighters threw hard shots at a frantic pace from the opening bell, making for a thrilling opening round on a fight that never came close to disappointing. Power punches were flying as momentum swung back and forth, not particularly uncommon for Rios in the early going as he is by his own admission a traditionally late starter.

Antillon put that theory to the test, scoring with a massive right hand that shook Rios late in the second round.

Just when it appeared that the advertised Fight of the Year would live up to its pre-fight buildup, Rios decided to take over – and eventually end matters.

A knockdown early in the third round permanently changed the course of the bout. Antillon rose to his feet and bravely battled back, but simply lacked the firepower to hold off the determined Rios, who clearly had stoppage on his mind.

That moment would come late in the round, when Rios landed a bomb of a straight right hand. Antillon crashed face first to the canvas, but once again attempted to rise to his feet to continue. Referee David Mendoza had other ideas, waving off the bout once he recognized that the fighter was no longer capable of defending himself. [Click Here To Read More]

probably the fight that saved boxing.............from the williams robbery

Comment

Rios here to stay

Rios gots an arsenal but most important he's patient and mentally strong and that's what's gonna take him a long way.

Comment

Passionate night's work by Rios.

You had to figure he'd stop Antillon, though - he's that bit bigger, his chin is that bit stronger, same goes for his punches, and they were destined to be exchanging furiously from the jump, so the early finish wasn't at all unexpected.

A Barrera fight doesn't excite me, but that 'passing of the torch' type fight is inevitable in the building of a star - I'm hoping to see Rios in a more compelling matchup either before or after that one.

Comment

the first round was amazing

great fight

Comment

great fight man, i even burned my chicken lookin at ****. rios really beat the piss out of antillon.

Comment

yea man I kept changing the fights back n forth I hate it when two good fights are at the same time

Comment

Guerrero or Maidana would beat him if he fought at 140. But then again, thats my hate speaking out because I don't like Rios. Entertaining fighter? No doubt, good person? Far from it. That fake story about his wife changing his ways is bull, he is still a scummy person.

And his tattoos are fugly, he should have them removed. Actually keep them, they fit his dumb personality.

Comment

The fight was crazy. Lived up to the hype without a doubt. That right hand that staggered Antillon was BRUTAL!

Comment

I wish Marquez wasn't moving up in weight to fight Roidsquiao. JMM vs. Rios at 135 would be such a great fight!

Comment

Working...
                    X