Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Actors Who Were Good Boxers - And Vice Versa.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

duran had parts in the movies Rocky 2 and Harlem Nights as well the tv show Mami Vice.

Tommy Morrison was in Rocky5

A Tarver was in Rocky Balboa

Comment

Originally posted by codey View Post
      Mickey Rourke fought amateur and had a short pro career
      Amateur he was 13-0
      Pro 6-0

Pretty impressive if you ask me.
      Rourke was paid a million dollars to fight in Japan in a fixed fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
        Bob Hope P4P had the hardest schedule. Definitely an ATG.
        I hope you're kidding-the way he used to. Hope had a very short and painful amateur career, that's all. About on the level of Teddy Atlas' "boxing career'. Jackie Mason also had a reasonable amateur career. He made fun of it on stage. He'd say, Yes, I fought in the ring you know, Id go in, and throw a left, another left, a right...and then my opponent would come into the ring..... a very funny guy.

Which reminds me that former lifht-heavy long term champion Maxie Rosenbloom also appeared in many films and in night-clubs. It was he who used to say that he sold advertising on the soles of his boxing boots. Jack Dempsey also made a few, and married a Hollywood actress. Max Baer as well. Errol Flynn, who made the famous "Gentleman Jim" was reputed to have been a good amateur in Australia.

Robert Ryan, the star of the boxing movie "The Set-Up" one of the very best boxing movies of all time (my personal favourite) won championships when he was a Marine. Then there was a fighter named Johnny Ind....I'm going crazy trying to think of his name, who used to train all the movie stars, and also kept them fit. He was the technical advisor for the boxing scenes. I used to often see him in all sorts of movies.

I just remembered his name and found him, his career and as a trainer and a little rundown on his career as a boxer, actor and celebrity trainer and studio adviser.
        Born in East Boston, Johnny Indrisano was from a poverty stricken family. As a youth he vowed to "have money" some day. He boxed 155 amateur fights. He turned professional and went on to fight 83 main events in which he won 80. He defeated 5 world champions. His career lasted from 1924 to 1934. Herecord defeated among others, Joe Dundee(World Welterweight Champ/non-title fight), Nick Testo, Johnny Freeman, Sig Keppen, and Sammy Baker. From 1934 to 1949 he worked as a boxing referee. He began as a boxing coach for movie stars and from there became a full-time boxing adviser on films. He also worked as a character actor. Among the stars he trained were John Garfield, Spencer Tracy, Carey Grant, Mickey Rooney, Robert Ryan, Robert Taylor, Jimmy Durante, Fred MacMurray, Ricardo Montalban, and William Lundigan. He died under mysterious conditions - possibly a suicide.
        IMDb Mini Biography By: angelsunchained

I'm worn put...

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
          Archie Moore, Jack Dempsey and Max Baer all were in movies. Moore also appeared in a few tv shows like wagon train.

Tv actor Robert Conrad(Wild Wild West, Baa Baa Blacksheep etc) had close to 50 amateur fights.

And of course Shannon Briggs had a part in The Transporter II.

Vito Antuofermo was the Toy Bulldog in Godfather III
          I heard Archie Moore got good reviews in the movie Huckleberry Finn from critics of that time. He was actually a well-red guy, and said he often read in public libraries all over the country when he traveled from town to town.

Comment

Martin Rogan has appeared in a few films and tv series though probably not in films seen outside of the UK and Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by Tiozzo View Post
              Carlos Palomino had a career as an actor I believe.

Manny Pacquiao ?
              lol Palomino might knock you out for that.

LOL Palomino hates Pacquiao's guts. That guy used to write guest blogs for some local paper and was hating on Pacman ever since the 126 pound days, he even said David Diaz would be too strong and knock out Pacman that 135 pounds is too high weight for Pac.

Comment

Chris Issak was a boxer

Also Billy Joel was training to become a boxer before he got into music

Ryan O'Neal who was the Brad Pitt of the 1970s was a boxer before becoming an actor, he actually made it to the golden glove finals in Los angeles back in the 50s, he also played a boxer in a movie and you could see he still had the movement and coordination

tough guy Actor Jack Palance fought as a pro under the name Jack Brazzo

Born Volodymir Palahniuk, of Ukranian descent, the 6 feet 3 inch., 200 pounder, dropped out of the University of North Carolina, and boxed under the name "Jack Brazzo" because he thought that sounded like what a prizefighter's name should be.

Fighting in coal-mining towns in Pennsylvania, Palance reportedly ran up an unconfirmed record of 12-1 (12 knockouts) over a host of local club-fighters. However to date no other fights have been traced. His only recorded fight was in New York State against future heavyweight contender Joe Baksi. Palance lost the decision and in an interview he gave to the Los Angeles Times in 1995 he said "then, I thought, You must be nuts to get your head beat in for $200. The theater seemed a lot more appealing".

Palance then entered the military to fight in World War II. He was wounded during the war, and after his discharge, he changed his name to Palance and resumed his education at Stanford University.

Comment

Halle Berrys boyfriend and Actor Oliver Martinez father was a boxer from Spain who taught him to box and he was training to become a boxer but went into acting instead

Former Mr. Olympia Franco Columbu was a boxer in Italy

he was Amateur Boxing Champion of Italy in the 135 pound lightweight division and got hooked on bodybuilding when he added powerlifting routines to his boxing training and got as big as 225 pounds.

Comment

Randall Tex Cobb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS-nCS9Az94

Comment

troy ross played an opponent in cinderella man.

the boxers in ali were all real fighters except for will smith ofcourse. james toney and michael bentt were amongst them, there were atleast 4 or 5 genuine pros cast in the movie. michael bentt also had a big part in state property 2 (where hopkins and winky had cameos).

Comment

Working...
                      X