No announcement yet.

Core endurance or strength?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Core endurance or strength?

When training your core should you go for endurance or pure strength? In our gym when we do the abs exercises we do many reps (20+ at least), so we're training for endurance. Most gyms and greater fighters do so from what I've seen. Though would it not be more profitable to do less reps ( < 10) with higher intensity (weights if needed)?
    Last edited by HalveKaaskop; 05-07-2010, 04:31 PM.

Two answers. One is the real answer, two is my smartass remark.

One, you want endurance, because that little extra strength will only last so long in a match, while the endurance will keep you going, considering it's mostly technique being used. The only thing I can imagine ab strength being used for is bobbing and weaving more quickly. Endurance is the way to go, they get stronger by themselves anyway.

Two, you said most great fighters go for high rep, as well as your gym. So high rep has a better track record.

Comment

Core endurance....... a strong core=strong punches. Pure strength is over rated with out the skill and the endurance to show the strength................Rockin'

Comment

Both.....MSG length

Comment

Originally posted by HalveKaaskop View Post
          When training your core should you go for endurance or pure strength? In our gym when we do the abs exercises we do many reps (20+ at least), so we're training for endurance. Most gyms and greater fighters do so from what I've seen. Though would it not be more profitable to do less reps ( < 10) with higher intensity (weights if needed)?
          you have to train both if you want to hit harder. the only way you can generate more speed when unleashing the torque in your body is to have a stronger core.

try this:

like that but alternating sides and as fast as you can go without hurting yourself. notice that when you try to throw a punch that requires you to pivot, you contract your abs.
          get on a incline situp bench
          go down to about 45 degrees or as close to parallel with the ground as you can
          hold your arms out while holding 5-15lbs and try to twist left and right as fast as you can
          if you find that you cant go any faster then its obvious that you need more core strength

that movement mimics your body twist to throw punches and the faster you can twist while balanced then more then likely you'll hit harder.
          on top of that you want abdominal endurance especially when you take shots or if your hands are real busy. just like any other body part, you dont want any of your muscles groups to fail you during a fight so you condition them for endurance and strength. goodluck

Comment

Core strength will make your punches much more effective, core endurance will obviously allow you to hang around longer.

Its hard to say which one is more effective then the other but u mine as well get the best of both worlds and work on endurance and strength.

Comment

Both are important. But people need to realize that you "core" is more than just your abs.

It's your hips, legs, abdominals, lower back etc.

Comment

'Practical programming for strength training' by Mark Rippetoe says that supplementary exercises such as ab work should be of higher reps than main exercises or they arent supplementary.
                -that's what powerlifters do anyway

but seriously for boxing your best option is to do both. high rep ab exercises for hypertrophy and exercises like weighted russian twists and crunches for reps of 10-12 to put some extra strength in there. I wouldnt suggest training abs in the 1-5 rep range they wont have any endurance and they ge alot more use than you think

Comment

this seems pretty sensibile. gd advice.

Comment

For my ab routine i do 3 sets of 1 rep at 1 rep max then 4 sets of 30 at 40% my 1 rep max then 3 sets of 1 rep at 1 rep max. ill go do some other stuff at the gym then back to the ab cable machine. this time ill do 3 sets of 1 rep at 1 rep max then 6 sets of 30 at 20% my 1 rep max as fast as i can then another 3 sets of 1 rep at one rep max. I make sure to take a min break between all sets and stretch my abs.

thus incorporating exercises to work the aspects of acceleration, top speed, and endurance into my abs. as for the rest of my core, i get that from biking running puncing and swinging my pick axe.

Comment

Working...
                    X